deck sandwich beam splice

I'm using sandwich style beams for my deck. I'm using 4 - 4x4 posts that are 6'4" apart and need a 20' beam. With a sandwich beam, what is the best way to splice the beam at the interior post? Should I just use 4 - 1/2" carriage bolts and put 2 into each beam segment into the post? Hopefully my lousy diagram explains what I'm trying to do.
Not sure exactly what you are saying. Are you thinking of bolting your beam onto a post, mounted on the side?
I would suggest putting the beam directly on top of the posts. You can purchase post attachments which will hold the beam in place.
I just built an 18' wide deck. My beam was 3 2x12's together, seated directly on top of 6x6 posts. I trust the beam on posts much better then the beam bolted to the post. However, I have seen the side mount thing done.