Deck Sanding

I have a Deck that's about 10 years old on my house. it's not in real bad shape, but the boards are splintery and cracking. I was thinking of sanding it. Would this be a good option?
Tony
What type of wood is the decking?

on 7/2/2008 8:41 PM Anthony Lisanti said the following:

took a lot of breaks) and a week of recovery from a sore back, but came out great. Hint: sanding cross grain works faster. Just countersink all nails, or screws, so you don't tear up the belts more than necessary.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes! I just did my 20x30 deck and it turned out great! I rented a floor sander from Home Depot, so sanding wasn't to difficult. The hardest part was sanding the sides with a small electric hand sander. I then stained it, and now it looks like a new deck. I'd use the walk behind orbital sander as opposed to the drum sander. It is real easy to create big grooves with the drum. If you do use the orbital sander, use ~ 30 grit first, then 100 grit to finish it. That seemed to work good for me. Also make sure you go over it with a hammer first to pound down any protruding nails. -Tom
Anthony Lisanti wrote:

when new. You don't really want you or your kids and pets inhaling or ingesting the fine chemical-laden particulates. Look at the bottom or other weather-protected areas for the printing or a green color. If you want to do it anyway, wear a mask and take other indicated precautions for working treated wood, and wash it well before you let the little creatures gnaw on it.
-- aem sends...