Deck question

I've got a couple of guys building a deck for me at a house I'm either going to sell or rent (an investment property). The deck height is only a couple of feet off the ground. They're not bolting the ledger board to the house (cinder block) and instead are using only concrete nails. Also, they're not going to put footers in until after they've finished the deck. Everything is on temporary supports and then they'll come back and dig footers and pour some concrete. Does this sound right? Thanks.

Reply to
jch

It sounds ass backwards wont the deck be a bit lower after they do the concrete, concrete should cure for a period. Maybe they dont have more work and want to get the big pay now. Why not pour concrete first, let it cure then do the deck.

Reply to
m Ransley

"jch" wrote

Sounds about right for a couple guys working for a 12 pack.

Reply to
Nader

Why in the world would they do the footers *after* the deck is built? They have to dig down and pour the cement and it would be a heck of a lot easier to do this *without* a deck over them. Weird, IMO.

JennP.

Reply to
newfy.1

Doh! They're NOT coming back.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Update: They built the deck frame on temporary posts and then put in footers at the end of the day. Decking goes on today. Looks OK I guess but since I wasn't there at the time, I can't tell how deep the footers go or if there's any concrete under them (or just around them). I put the ledger bolts in myself.

Reply to
jch

Let the concrete CURE first. and dig your self to see how deep they are. Sounds like the Hack Boys are at your house. Is it treated wood , many fasteners dont last with the new treated, ck the whole job out. Did they buy bag concrete look at the receipt for how much. Did they buy sand to dilute it ? I know of contractors that cheat every chance they get, some take 50% down do 5% and you are the looser. Dont pay ill you know its good

Reply to
m Ransley

JCH:

J > I've got a couple of guys building a deck for me at a house I'm either goin

J > to sell or rent (an investment property). The deck height is only a couple J > of feet off the ground. They're not bolting the ledger board to the house J > (cinder block) and instead are using only concrete nails. Also, they're not J > going to put footers in until after they've finished the deck. Everything i

J > on temporary supports and then they'll come back and dig footers and pour J > some concrete. Does this sound right? Thanks.

Completely backwards to the way it was done here. Holes were dug, inspected by the city inspector (for proper depth and diameter), cement poured flush with the ground. Support posts rest on the pads

-- you do not want to have the posts anchored to the pads to allow for movement as things expand and contract, also do not want indentations in the top of the pads else water would be held, rotting the wood and around here freezing in winter (water expands when freezes).

Don't recall the details on the connection to the house but know there's a joist-sized piece along the house on which the deck supports rest in metal brackets. Fairly certain that joist-sized piece is attached to the house with long and large screws; the main pieces are bolted together, three bolts each.

  • Anyone with "cloisterphobia" should not consider becoming a monk.
Reply to
barry martin

This can vary. In some areas if the deck is attached as you describe, the deck must be in code compliance, taxes will be increased, etc. If it abuts but is not attached, a permit may not be needed, it is not considered part of the house and the owner incurs no assessment changes.

I don' t think I'd build a deck 10 feet off the ground that way, but if it is about ground level, it is still going to be sturdy and can save some money over the years. In any case, I'd pour the concrete supports first.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We did this (did not attach the deck to the house), but instead of pouring supports, we used those deck blocks, and that has worked well for us in our severe winter climate. We doubled the supports for the area where the 270-gallon hot tub sits. So far, so good after one year and one severe winter with 120 inches of snow.

Reply to
xymergy