Deck Preservative

So, why exactly would I want to put this preservative on my deck? Pressure treated wood is good for ~20 years at ground contact, so what's the preservative do exactly?

The label says it's only good for one or two seasons per shot, so it seems like a lot of work for I'm not sure what benefit.

(We don't care for darker, tinted wood, so I don't care about that factor.)

Should I invest the time into this?

What's it do for me?

Reply to
Jack Straw

Generally the rationale for putting something on treated wood is to repel water. This will reduce the tendency of the treated wood to check and crack. The wood won't rot,but it will degrade to some extent. I personally put some gray (like weathered wood) water repelling stain on my deck, and I imagine it does some good. It doesn't last more than a couple of seasons, as advertised, but it is not very hard to apply and not super expensive.

Reply to
donald girod

donald girod wrote: in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

What do you use? Is it easy to get uniform coverage?

Reply to
JoeM

Not new. Have Cabot grey deck stain on and need to renew. It is very hard to get the Cabot on without major brush/roller marks. Looking fo alternatives.

Thanks

Reply to
JoeM

alternatives.