Deck painting/staining problem.

A customer wants their deck refinished. The deck boards have what appears to be a semi-solid deck stain. The posts and spindles have what appears to be a glossy polyurethane with stain. The product polyshades comes to mind, stain and polyurethane mixed together. The posts and spindles are not in that bad of shape, but there is some black from what I can only guess is some kind of mold? I am worried that if I were to try and apply some new finish to the posts and spindles that because of the glossy surfaces that the finish will not adhere that well. With so many spindles sanding them would drastically raise the price of the job.

I think the deck and railing would look best all one color. There are primers that supposedly adhere to glossy surfaces, is this a perfect place to use one? Do they work? Or must one bite the bullet and sand the posts and spindles?

Thank you for any suggestions or help.

Reply to
andy everett

I've run into that too. It's possible what you are seeing on the posts and spindles is just a build up of semi-transparent stain. It can look pretty glossy if enough has been applied, especially since those surfaces don't weather much. You can try some deck stripper in an inconspicuous place and see if that works. If you go that route allow for a lot of time and factor in an application of deck brightener and another quick wash before you stain. If you decide to go the primer route, you'll want to power wash then use a 100% acrylic primer followed by a latex solid deck stain. I did that on my own deck the last time and it has held up well with only a couple of high traffic areas requiring Spring touch up. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating

poly is not for outdoor use. marine poly would be better.

The product polyshades is crap.

| comes to mind, stain and polyurethane mixed together. The posts and | spindles are not in that bad of shape, but there is some black from what | I can only guess is some kind of mold? I am worried that if I were to | try and apply some new finish to the posts and spindles that because of | the glossy surfaces that the finish will not adhere that well. With so | many spindles sanding them would drastically raise the price of the job.

power wash with bleach solution to remove black spots.

| | I think the deck and railing would look best all one color. There are | primers that supposedly adhere to glossy surfaces, is this a perfect | place to use one? Do they work? Or must one bite the bullet and sand the | posts and spindles?

sanding is preferred "stain cover" primer can be put on glossy surfaces.

| | Thank you for any suggestions or help.

power wash, sand, prime w/oil primer, lightly sand, restain with solid stain.

Reply to
3G