Deck Material: Alternatives to Redwood?

What alternative to wood have you used for your deck? Are you so happy with the price, the quality, and the outcome that you would do the same again?
Deck area will be 24 x 30 more or less with railing where the deck is not attached to the house and two set of steps. Very wet and cold, but generally not freezing winters with strong sun year round.

Check out Ipe and mahogany. Finish with something like Penofin oil Looks sharp, lasts a lifetime.
Marty wrote:

Googling "deck materials" (in quotes) turned up a mere 13,000 hits, of which the first few look very interesting.
LB

Thanks, but I'm looking for personal experience and personal views on whether or not you would repeat the use of redwood-alternative decking you have personally tried.
We used composite material. It is fairly expensive but it is supposed to last a long, long time. It never needs paint or coating of any type and it looks great.
Chip

Marty;
Are original desk was about the same size as yours. After 20+ years of NE weathering the rot started to get ahead of us. It was time to replace it.
We looked at IPE and redwood but finally settled on Natural Cedar and we stained it with Sikkens Natural Cedar stain. Looks like a big piece of furniture. My research shows that the cedar should last a very long time. The finish... to early to tell.
IPE is very very nice but very very expensive.
Please post what your final decision is?
Bob
Marty-
I would highly reccomend avoiding face fasteners, they provide excellent locations for rot to begin.
Also I'm a big fan of SS fasteners, yeah they're kinda pricey but compared to the overall project cost it's small. Rusty fastener holes just invite rot.
I've removed SS screws & nails installed ~15 to 20 years ago & ithey are difficult to tell from new.
cheers Bob

would
year
OOPS! We have cedar and it is 15 years old and we have had to replace several rails and decking boards starting at about 5 years old. We have tried various finishes, but Thompsons has looked and worked the best. If I was to do it again, I would use composite.