Deck material?

What do you all think I should use? What is best? Real wood (what type?) or one of the new fake woods? ...and of course why?? Thanks for any advice. If it matters, I am in the Northeast..Long island.

Reply to
jtees4

Considerations: maintenance vs. natural appearance= your choice. I've heard very good things about the better synthetic materials, but they don't look quite the same. I'd gather in L.I. with salt air and sun, maintenance can a challenge. I've seen some on beach houses out there with that weathered look. Some people like it.

Reply to
Sev

There are many good choices.

Ipe Mahogany Cypress Cedar Redwood (usually expensive in the east) Pressure treated Artificial woods.

The artificial are supposed to require the least amount of maintenance. I've seen little of it so can't comment on that.

The best appearance, (and highest cost) are Ipe and Mahogany. Give them a coat of Penofin oil every couple of years and they will look great. Penofin also has UV protection to maintain the natural color. We have a good lumberyard where I live and they have a 4' x 4' section of decking made from each material so you can see what it will look like and how well it weathers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Unless you are a sucker for "authentic", you can't beat the composites (fake woods). They last forever, no splinters, uniform appearance.

I have some and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

After you've had it for a year, get yourself one of those electric pressure washers. Each spring I pressure wash mine and it looks as good as it did the day it was installed.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Thanks all for the replies. I have never looked at the fake stuff myself...but I have seen it on a few decks. Years ago it looked real bad, maybe there is better stuff today. I will look. Never heard of Ipe...but you learn something new every day!

Reply to
jtees4

An aquaintance just used some synthetic material to build his deck. It was nice. Don't know how it will look down the road, but it sure lookds nice now.

mrsgator88

I don't get decks. I like patios, and esp since your neighborhood is pricey, would a patio (pavers, not a poured slab) be a better investment ?

Reply to
roger61611

What don't you get? My deck is 8" above the ground and the kitchen opens to it. Patios do not work well 8" above the ground.

OTOH, I do have a patio below the deck, and it gets shade from it. Best of both worlds.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

ipe is very heavy, dont use it on a dock, it sinks

Reply to
steve