Deck Joist Support Question

messagenews:juhm02$7nj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Not sure how much we agree / disagree but the last sentence I tend to agree with you. I don't like either neither.

Reply to
Doug

Actually quite a few - with a concrete patio stone base and vibration damper feet they are actually just as quiet as sitting on the ground - and quieter (in the house) than when they hang them on those silly angle iron wall brackets.

Reply to
clare

messagenews:juhm02$7nj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Mine is less than 4 feet from my deck (around the corner) and is less of a bother than my nieghbours unit 40+ feet across the yard. His is a new "scroll" unit and the sound is more irritating.

Reply to
clare

Wouldn't that cover the access panels?

.

Ditto that. I don't see the obsession to cutting the deck and sinking the AC 8 inches into the deck.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since this issue has brought upon such a major discussion, I indicated the main reason shortly after posting the question. That reason is potential work to the deck which would require the removal of the unit. IMO, that's good enough for me as I have been in situations which add a greater length of time and problems to remove/dismantle objects to simply get at an easier project.

My home is a small bungaloe on a small lot. This means I have roughly 2 feet of grass on the west side next to my neighbors driveway, my driveway next to my neighbor's grass on the east side, my front to the south and my back to the north. The deck extends the entire width the rear of the house. Part of the deck (6 x 6) is elevated to the sliding glass doors, which also extends out farther than the rest of the house, then it lowers to the rest and retracts back to the house leaving a corner section by a basement window where the dryer vent is located. Therefore, one reason it's not in that corner is due to that dryer vent and window. Thus, leaving the only option to the west side rear corner of the house. The open deck area will be filled with a base, then a pad for the condenser and the condenser itself, which will most likely be even with the deck level or even exceed slightly above it.

We've had a few companies provide estimates and the prognosis was roughly the same. The actually installer of the company we chose visited our home to confirm placement of items, therefore, it wasn't just the advice of the sales rep.

I do appreciate those who provide insight, but to assume there are other options without actually viewing the entire area or knowing the entire issue is presumptuously aloof. Besides, the question was about drilling into the brick/foundation or not.

Overall, the unit is a Lennox Whisper Quiet system which claims to top out at 67 decibels. I wouldn't consider that a loud system. I can also build small decorated wall panels on the deck to encase it if needed.

Thank you all for your input. Search for my next topic regarding my question about my gas pipes.

Reply to
Meanie

messagenews:juhm02$7nj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Well that's amazing because I've seen at least 1000 homes in Texas and not yet seen one built on a patio deck. Sure not common if it exists here. I agree with others...I don't like the idea if given a choice.

Reply to
Doug

ote:

your reply was non-responsive to the situation at hand....

Reply to
DD_BobK

If done properly, I'd agree. (at deck height)

Reply to
clare

If you think so, you're illiterate. I answered the question quite directly.

It's not my writing because others could read what I wrote.

Reply to
krw

On Jul 24, 6:03=A0am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote: SNIP

I was able to read it just fine, unfortunately a major portion was irrelevant and hence, non-responsive.

btw...illiterate would be the incorrect adjective in this case. :)

Reply to
DD_BobK

The it's clear that you *CAN'T* read because my answer fit the question perfectly.

No, it's clear that you can't read - illiterate.

Reply to
krw

ote:

You were wrong before & you're still wrong...... clearly I can read. Making sense of your post was the difficult part.

Re-read your original answer & perhaps you'll discover the part that was non-responsive & irrelevant to the question. Perhaps others did understand or more likely they didn't bother to make sense of it.

and illiterate is still the wrong adjective. :)

Maybe if you put your response is "all caps" it will be easier to understand?

Reply to
DD_BobK

No, you're still illiterate. Maybe if you actually, you know, read my answer in context with the question, you could get your head out of your ass. No, I suppose that would be a *lot* to ask.

Clearly you're a liar, at least.

You really can't read. ...and here I thought you were just an asshole.

OK, perhaps "liar" is better?

You *are* an idiot. An Obama Democrat, no doubt.

Reply to
krw