Deck is done!!! - GOOD CONTRACTOR ALERT!!!

Page 2 of 2

SilverUnicorn wrote:

Nice Job!     Your deck looks beautiful. The Trex product is outstanding. Just curious though, did you consider a pavers patio grade level option? I only ask because your deck doesnt look very high off the ground.
Thanks TP

TP -
That was a consideration, and we went with the deck instead. We wanted something that was a direct walk out from the house with no steps. Also there is solid granite about 13" under the dirt, and if we needed to go below the frost line, we may as well have dug footers. It would have been a nightmare to get everything even for a paver patio (in my opinion).
A friend of ours has a very nice paver patio, and it is gorgeous.
Chris
On 8/27/2005 9:54 AM US(ET), SilverUnicorn took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

<snip>
Very nice! I have one Question and a Suggestion. Q: What is that brown mark on the lower edge of the second floor vinyl on the left side of that bay? Was that above where you used to grill? S: Be very careful when grilling in that bump out. Make sure the grill is not too close to the railing. You have vinyl railing that will melt when exposed to high heat.
--
Bill

Bill -
Hello and thank you for that reminder. The deck company also advised us of the hazards of grilling too hot and too close to the railings.

That was a result of non quality contractors not piping the upper level AC condensor drain into the gutter far enough. The drain water would drip from the drain tube, behind the gutter (which was haphazzardly cut out to go around the drain cause the drain was there first) and never properly caulked. The water would drip, hit the chingles, and thus, after time, making that icky looking stain. The drain problem and gutter has been corrected (properly), and I just hot a pressure washer, so the stain should soon be history.
Thanks for the heads-up though, it is appreciated.
Chris
The spot on the 2nd floo

On 8/28/2005 8:42 AM US(ET), SilverUnicorn took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Before using the pressure washer, you might try a plastic patio furniture cleaner. My wife swears by it and buys 6 bottles of it at a time. She uses it when all other cleaners fail on anything. Do not use it to clean enamel painting aluminum gutters though, it will take the enamel paint right off. Don't ask me how I know. :-) The 'Zep' brand is sold in HD in the liquid cleaners section.

--
Bill

<snip>

Thanks again - I heard "Krud Kutter" was pretty good as well. Ever try that?
Chris

On 8/28/2005 9:14 AM US(ET), SilverUnicorn took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

No. I only suggested Zep because it is made for vinyl, but works on other materials too. It says not to use on automobile finishes, but I used it on my clear coated truck to remove thousands of white paint specks from freshly painted road lane marking stripes that were kicked up by another car. I never noticed the tiny specks until I washed my truck some time later. The plastic cleaner was the only thing that worked after trying bug and tar remover, scratch remover, polishing compound, mineral spirits, gasoline, and kerosene. There was no damage to the truck paint.

--
Bill

SilverUnicorn wrote:

ooooh nice. I was just about to slam it for having no grill, then I see the grill area :P Top Notch.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert