deck improvements

Greetings... I have been in my house for about a year and I have a question about my deck:

My deck is about 12 feet off and the main support posts sit on my driveway. They are not secured to the driveway in any way other than gravity and the weight of my deck. I would like to do something to make it more secure, but was wondering if I have any options other than ripping out my deck and putting in a new one. I've been thinking about if it would be possible to somehow fit a metal "sleeve" around the deck post and somehow secure that to my driveway using some sort of concrete anchor.. Any ideas?

Thanks,

jeff

Reply to
jeff hayes

I think that you're going to die a hideous and agonizing death...

But for this particular problem, you use jack-posts to hold up the deck while you take out the existing posts, pour footings with embedded post-brackets, and then replace the posts.

While you're at it, drive chunks of black-pipe into the pavement to keep people from driving though your suppports.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Jeff:

JH> Greetings... I have been in my house for about a year and I have a JH> question about my deck: JH> JH> My deck is about 12 feet off and the main support posts sit on my JH> driveway. They are not secured to the driveway in any way other than JH> gravity and the weight of my deck. I would like to do something to JH> make it more secure, but was wondering if I have any options other JH> than ripping out my deck and putting in a new one. I've been thinking JH> about if it would be possible to somehow fit a metal "sleeve" around JH> the deck post and somehow secure that to my driveway using some sort JH> of concrete anchor.. Any ideas?

I'm thinking you shouldn't have to worry about the deck supports sliding. When they built the decks here the supports were placed on top of the footings - no embedding, no nothing. No shifting either.

I would think if you stuck the supports into a hollowed-out footing or your collar idea water would collect and possibly cause rotting. Would seem trapped water would form ice in winter and displace the supports.

  • It's a BIG nose when warn: "Everybody take cover, she's going to blow!"
Reply to
barry martin