deck fascia questions

I have lots of 1x4 IPE that I am using for deck and was hoping to use

1x4 for fascia to surround 2x8 treated rim joist. Any thoughts on using 1x4 for fascia?....... I thought of either rabbit edges of boards so that lip of one board covers the board underneath or cutting tongue and groove edges on boards to join them. Any recommendations on either method?...... I have read in some deck books that recommend using spacers between rim joist and fascia. Is this a good idea? ...... If so, what material makes a good spacer? .... I have though of using (a) Hardi-board cement siding (b) 1x4 IPE with ^ cut on top (c) treated plywood I am starting to screw deck from rim and wanted to frame in deck with top of fascia board even with top of deck. Is 1 x 4 fascia too thin of material for fascia to frame in deck? Need to resolve questions above before I can start screwing the deck. Need your input on above questions. Thanks, Rick(been luring off an on since June)
Reply to
Rick C

overlap works better than t&g for horizontal installation.

small pcs. of PVC pipe

that would work.

you will need 3 pcs. to cover rim joist.

(c) treated plywood

NOT recommended

1st of all nails are stronger than screws for framing and will last much longer.

not to thin................ it is too narrow considering you have 2x8 (7 1/2") joists

1x4 times 2 = 7" 2 pcs. will not cover rim joists.

NAIL THE FRAME TOGETHER do not screw (yourself)

Reply to
Bryant