deck

hello...
my side by side neighbour (we live in a duplex) is putting up a deck. he's not pouring footings and it's not a floating deck.
is there anything in between?
construction wise...he's attaching the joists onto the ledger board and the support beams rest on 4 deck blocks. that's it. the deck blocks sit on the soil.
i'm not sure if this will suffice since floating decks typically use a lot more deckblocs.

Answer depends on where you live and the frost line. He may be headed for trouble down the road.
well... we live in Canada. i don't think he'll have a problem with frost heave since he didn't pour footings. however, with the use of only a few deck blocks, i think the load is distributed unevenly and for the most part, on the ledger.