Dealing with insurance adjusters

Generally you are best to deal with a broker. They will handle at least 3 different companies (at least in Canada a broker MUST represent at least 3 markets) and they can shop you for the best deal, and they will know which companies are best to deal with - and they can exert pressure on the companies on your behalf much more effectively Igenerally) than you can. They have pull because they may have a thousand customers with that company, and if the company doesn't pull their weight, when renewal time comes around they may not get a chance at the business.

Reply to
clare

In the case of a car, the insurance co pays the body repairman to paint what needs to be painted to make it match - and SOME colours of some paints are "whole job", some you can do a "full panel" without blending, and some you can patch a panel.

Personally I do NOT allow any blending. Full panel - no blend, or patch the panel - preferably full panel. Today's paints don't fade much, so even on a 17 year old vehicle a good match is not difficult at all on an OEM finish.

Reply to
clare

All good points. I should have shopped around starting a few years ago when Allstate started really jacking up the rate. But a big part of the rate problem here is that I'm just a few miles from the NJ shore and all the insurance companies have been jacking up rates and deductibles. I got very lucky in that Sandy lost steam and was downgraded from a hurricane just minutes before it made shore. If it had still been a hurricane, I wouldn't be collecting anything because then a 5% hurricane deductible would apply....

Reply to
trader4

One feature of allstate is that they only sell through their own agents who only represent them. We used to have allstate and I got really tired of asking for policy reviews which resulted in them lowering the rates a trivial amount only to receive a letter 2 months later informing about a rate increase. allstate lost lots of business (one reason why they air a commercial telling you how good they are every 10 minutes). My rule is the more you spend telling me how good you are the worse you really are.

A friend mentioned Erie. Typically it is only available through agents that handle multiple lines. The agent noted Erie is very particular about who they insure. He said if Erie didn't accept us he would need to use other insurers such as progressive (who also advertises every 10 minutes) and pay a lot more.

We have had Erie for 5 years and they haven't raised our rates. I happened to get into an insurance discussion yesterday and the person described how a toilet supply line failed on the 2nd floor while they were away and the water caused extensive damage. They mentioned they had Erie who quickly responded and did not chisel like allstate and others would have.

Reply to
George

Basic rule. The more a company tells us how good they are the worse they really are. There is a reason allstate airs commercials every 10 minutes. My basic rule is to do business with companies that simply are good and don't need to spend a fortune telling me how good they are.

Reply to
George

I looked at the breakdown more closely and here's some more data points on Allstate's process. First, for all the water damaged walls and ceilings, they are paying for ONE COAT of paint, plus $45 for stainblocker. Anyone think that one coat gives an acceptable result or is the way it should be done?

One ceiling is in a bedroom, 13 x 11.5 ft. To paint the ceiling, they cost it out at $55. WTF? A gallon of decent paint alone is $35.

For the huge two story great room, 20 x 18, they say the walls and ceiling can be painted for $400.

Unbelievable.

Reply to
trader4

I see HomoGay is impersonating me again. He *loves* me, but he's not my type.

Reply to
krw

Idiot. It's HomoGay playing his childish games.

Good God, you're dense, Trader!

Reply to
krw

Trader, do pull your head out of your ass some day and take a breath. The world doesn't really stink as bad as New Jersey.

Reply to
krw

This is how you deal with insurance adjusters, and always get your way:

It works every time!

Reply to
generic

can't wait for the 'health insurance' claims to start being refuted.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I used to be an insurance adjuster. Most people never read the policy to see what they are buying. So then they bitch and whine when the find out what they bought. That's the first thing. Read the damn policy BEFORE buy it. You have a 30 day grace period to do that. Use it! Ask questions about things you don't understand. Having said that, here is how to give the adjuster nightmares. You can get all the estimates you want but that is not going to have any effect on them. They are trained, and trained very well, to tune out what the industry calls "third party claimants". So do this. First, protect the property as well as you can from further damage. Then call the adjuster. When they come out, give them free run of the place and let them do their job. Then when they present their offer to you, demand that they provide you with the name, or names, of the skilled technicians the adjuster believes will honor their estimate. If they refuse to do that, go right straight to your state insurance commissioner and register a complaint. When you demand the names of people that will honor the adjuster's estimate and you get the names and subsequently use them, they can go back to the adjuster for supplemental funding for things the adjuster missed and as the adjuster trust them enough to give out their names, the supplemental will generally be a breeze. Ultimately what you are entitled to is to be put back in the exact same condition as you were 30 seconds before the event that caused the damage. As long as the adjuster is following that provision, no judge will allow a verdict against them. Now, let me tell you what happens when you get a lawyer. The insurance company's attitude is that the damage to your property from that one event will never get any worse. Therefore all you are doing by getting a lawyer is giving someone else a third of what you were going to get in the first place. Very seldom does a property damage lawsuit come out ahead for the insured party. It's a hell of a racket and the only way a person wins is to read the policy BEFORE they buy it and know what they are buying. And, there is so much collusion that goes on between adjusters and plaintiff attorneys that it is just downright sickening. They make a killing and you get screwed. There are such things as adjusters that work for your side. You might want to discuss your claim with one.

Reply to
Jimmy Volleyball

I did exactly that with the adjuster. She claims sheetrock repair, stain sealing, painting can be done for $1100. I have quotes from 4 painters from $2800 to $4000. The $1100 is just so totally out of whack for the NJ/NYC area in particular, that it's a joke. So, I said to her, fine, give me the names of a couple painters who will do it for $1100 and I'll call them. She says Allstate doesn't do that, but they know that it can be done for the $1100..... After insisting for two days that they will only pay for one coat, I now have her conceeding to do two coats and the amount is up to ~$1800. Still low, but better.

How about this. They had $74 for replacement of a powered roof fan. Upon looking closer, I see it actually says it's for the "cover only". So, I'm like, they don't sell just the replacement top part for a roof fan. Especially not for a 25 year old one. She insists that yes they do.... Just ask your roofer. Fortunately the roofer was just getting in his truck. So I yell, down to him... Answer: They don't exist. She did then go redo it and I think there is like $250 in there for it now. But it justs makes you wonder what experience they really have.....

Also, the most extensive water damage was to a section of cathedral ceiling. The worst shingle damage was also to the very peak of that ceiling. The cathedral ceiling has not been opened to verify that it's dried out. For all I know, it could still be soaked. So, I proposed that they pay for pulling a couple sheets of plywood as part of the re-roof to verify that it's dry and OK. She says it's pefectly fine for plywood to get wet, they even do it in new construction. I tell here, yes, but that's without insulation underneath and drywall ceiling the cavity. It could be full of water and could mold. She says that just doesn't happen......

In retrospect, the right thing to do would have been to open the drywall from the inside across at least one section so that it could dry out quickly, etc. Then they would be paying for that.....

Reply to
trader4

Interesting information, especially about asking for the name or names of skilled technicians that the adjuster believes will honor the adjuster's estimate.

Could you say a little more about the "public adjuster" idea? That's different than hiring an attorney. Do you think that public adjusters who represent the policyholder are a good idea? -- sometimes, always, never?

Reply to
TomR

Yeah. They are a kind of "traitor" to the typical company adjuster but they really do a good job for their clients. Many plaintiff attorneys try to run them out of business because they keep the attorneys from earning a big fee. The trick here is to tell the adjuster exactly what you expect and know what he/she is going to charge you to do the job EXACTLY as you want it done. They will usually be very honest about what you will be able to collect for and what you won't. Also, be that adjuster's note taker. Follow them every step and take notes and argue you case when you think they might have missed something. That way YOUR adjuster knows all of your concerns and they know the language and how to get you the best deal. But, just like everything else there are the good ones and the not so good ones so stay on their heels and express your concerns no matter how trivial. They work for you!

Reply to
Jimmy Volleyball

Yes Most of us don't understand all of the fine print.

What about the companies that advertise they will get your home or auto repaired properly? I assume they have contractors that will work with them at the prices they offer.

Seems too easy to just say "go ahead, make it right and Ill be happy"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had three experiences where insurance claims were involved. All three were fire damage, on residential, two industrial.

Case #1 Public adjuster got much more done than the insurance adjuster got. Homeowner also paid for some extra work and upgrades at the time.

Case #2. The insurance company paid the maximum of the policy so an adjuster would get no more. Why pay an adjuster for that?

Case #3 Adjuster was able to collect on damages that we would not even think about. This was a payout of over a million dollars. Well worth the 10% fee.

Oh, fees are negotiable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

People should ALWAYS BUY REPLACEMENT INSURANCE!

Not the depreciated value where the homowner ONLY gets paid for the cost of stuff from goodwill........

This 5 year old sofa was 700 bucks new now valued at 100 bucks

Reply to
bob haller

Another reason to use a good broker. Being independent of the insurance companies, and working for YOU, not the insurance company, they can help you be sure you are getting the insurance you need, and understand your coverage. Yes, there are useless brokers out there, but on the whole you are generally farther ahead with a broker than withan agent. ( or a direct-sale over-the-phone company)

Reply to
clare

If you are REALLY lucky.

Replacement cost is only a few bucks more - raise your deductible by $50 or $100 and you come out ahead.

Reply to
clare