Deaf mute father shot dead by police while trying to communicate with them

Page 5 of 12
On 8/26/2016 1:36 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:

Exactly! EVERY driver should know that and cops don't have a problem if the driver wants to get to a lighted area or an area of lesser traffic.

I disagree with that. Cops do not use a siren when being pulled over for a traffic violation. The siren comes on during an emergency pursuit. Therefore, deaf or not, the lights are blinding and plenty for EVERY driver to see. In addition, the cops shine the spot light on them as well.

Exactly!
Mike Duffy presented the following explanation :

+1
This incident made me wonder if ASL for "Don't shoot me, I'm unarmed" involves reaching for anything but the sky.
The important thing you all are missing is that the hearing impaired victim was white and the trooper was black.
This shooting was *clearly* racially motivated.
Don't white lives matter?
Reverend Jessee Jackson formulated the question :

Retribution killing, I didn't want to go there.
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:36:32 AM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:

You're 100% right, but good luck dealing with Muggles.

Basically agree, but I'd add or being a jerk to your list.

I agree the perp again bears part of the responsibility for what happened. But from what we;ve heard so far, the cop was wrong too. Cops are not supposed to shoot unarmed people who pose no deadly threat to them. This guy was unarmed. The cop should never have gotten close to him until he had a better idea what was going on. And even if the distance was close, the guy had no weapon, there were plenty of cops around, it sounds like the cop could and should have simply backed up.
On 8/26/2016 7:01 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The problem is a deaf mute man responds differently to their environment than people who can hear normally.
--
Maggie

On 8/26/2016 12:36 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:

To a deaf person, "safe place" means more than to those with normal hearing. I'm not totally deaf, but I still don't hear well enough to understand what an officer might be saying to me if I'm pulled over on the side of a road. Pulling off to a quieter place, and a place I feel more secure makes sense to me, and I'm only hearing impaired. To someone who is totally deaf I can understand him not pulling over 'til he gets to a familiar place.

I would expect him to want to find a "safe place", well lit, if possible, out of the flow of traffic.

It's a real possibility that he didn't notice the lights behind him. When I don't wear my hearing aids while I'm driving, all of my senses are concentrating on driving and where I'm going. If I'm close to my house those senses are looking forward, and not so much in the rear view mirror.
Test yourself some time. Put cotton balls in your ears and take a drive. What do you see, or concentrate on?

The cop had access to the drivers information, which, should have included that the man was deaf. He should have acted accordingly vs. shooting the man right off. Since when is deadly force a first response by cops?

It's easy to say what the deaf man should have done, but unless you walk a mile in someone's shoes who can't hear anything, I don't think it's fair to say he should have just put his hands up. He was trying to TALK to the officer. The only problem is he could only talk with his hands.
--
Maggie

On 8/26/2016 11:58 PM, Muggles wrote:

Now you know that there is a problem doing that and you should be checking the mirror.

Why do you think he had that information? The registration of the car in not co-ordinated with the driver. Anyone could be driving his car and he could be driving anyone else's car.

And easily misinterpreted, especially at night. Many deaf people have been through training for different situations. I wonder if there was anything about police encounters.
On 8/26/2016 11:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've actually forgotten to put in my hearing aids when I went to drive somewhere, and I have to tell you, looking in the rear view isn't my first priority. I'm hypersensitive at looking in front of me and to my left and right for changing lanes. Everything "feels" different than it feels if I'm driving with my hearing aids in.
I can imagine what it may be like to be totally deaf and drive. Can you?

I think it's highly possible he had access to that information. They have computers in their vehicles, and they check the license plates, AND they can also check info on the owner of the vehicle. A detail like the owner being deaf and mute is an important tidbit of information, and I would think it logical that that information was easily accessible to the cop.
Either the cop didn't do his research, or he only did bare minimum.

If the deaf mute man was trying to communicate, he couldn't form words the cops would understand, so his only other choice to communicate would be to use sign language.
--
Maggie

On 8/27/2016 12:37 AM, Muggles wrote:

Sure, but that does not allow you to not drive in a proper manner. You are supposed to check your mirror.

I did ask a cop and no, that information is not available to them here. The owner is not always the driver. We have one car and two possible drivers. Neighbor has four cars, four drivers, but only one registered owner.
My grandson, legally blind, has a driver's license and no record of it when he was stopped and ticketed by a state trooper.

No, he had other choices. One is to put your hands up and stand still. Another is to stay in the car and let the police come to him.
On 8/27/2016 12:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The problem I have with this particular story, is a cop pulling a gun and shooting as a first response. I understand cops are jumpy these days, but at the same time they've left no room for other possible responses other than shoot to kill.
I'm looking at how the scenario probably went down in a realistic way, and from the perspective of someone who can't hear or speak and can only communicate via sign language.
It's entirely possible *and* probable the man didn't know the cops were behind him, and when he pulled into his own driveway he got out of his car only to be startled by the cops in his driveway. His logical response would be to try to TALK to them with his only means of communicating - sign language.
I can still hear, but I still get startled by noises I don't recognize, and movement I'm not expecting. If me being a hearing impaired person who can still hear some sound has issues with such things, I can actually imagine how those issues can be multiplied exponentially if I couldn't hear anything and couldn't speak.
--
Maggie

On 27/08/2016 15:58, Muggles wrote:

Indeed.
On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 12:37:28 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

ew

e.

se

Good grief. You just make wild leaps without regards to the facts. First you claim that the cop would know that the perp was deaf because all he had to do was run the plate. That isn't true, the car could be in anyone's name. And even if it was his car, how do you know what information is or isn't recorded on that state's driver's licenses? Do we even know if the guy has a license? It's reasonable that the cops should have pulled up the registration and then the license for whoever that car is registered to, but we have no way of knowing what was there to see.
You've said you think it's OK for a deaf person to keep driving until they get somewhere that's quiet, well lit, where they feel safe, etc. Apparently NC, where this happened has a different idea:
https://www.ncdhhs.gov/assistance/hearing-loss/emergency-preparedness-publi c-safety-deaf-hard-of-hearing
Emergency Preparedness and Public Safety for the Deaf and the Hard of Heari ng
Driver Communication Card
The Driver Communication Card alerts the officer to communicate appropriate ly with the deaf or hard of hearing driver.
If you, a Deaf or Hard of Hearing driver, encounter a law enforcement offic er, present this card to the officer to let the them know that you are deaf or hard of hearing. State and local law enforcement officers throughout No rth Carolina are trained to recognize the card and understand its purpose.
The Driver Communication card is available to North Carolina licensed drive rs who have a hearing loss.
If the guy had followed that procedure, very likely there would have been a very different outcome. Not a good idea to do what "you think" is right. It's better to follow the guidelines where you are. And if I were deaf, I wouldn't have to find this on a state website to know that it's not a good idea to think I can ignore a cop trying to pull you over and just keep driving until I get to some place convenient for me.
On 27/08/2016 05:14, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You appear to be making excuses for the cop. In the UK it would never have happened, the man would still be alive and well today.
On 8/27/2016 3:44 AM, Bod wrote:

You and Jamie need to stop this "in the UK....." crap. We're not the UK and will never be the UK. As I continue to say, you two live in the UK and not the US. If you don't like the US, fine, stay in the UK and stop bitching about the US. We have to deal with it, not you.

> > Erm! I've previously stated that I've spent time in 2 different states and found the Americans I met to be nice friendly people. Please note! The only thing I find wrong, is with your seemingly trigger happy police. How you can't see the problem is beyond me. Earlier I posted yet another incident when your police carried on shooting a guy when he had his hands up. Now how can that be right!
On 8/27/2016 7:46 AM, Bod wrote:

That's fine but stop with the "in the UK, we don't do that..."
Though again, you don't like the guns, that's fine also but you aren't dealing with it, we are. All cops aren't the same and I hope the "trigger happy" ones who aren't justified in their shooting are brought to justice, but you aren't a cop and we don't always know the entire story. Also (again), the liberal mindset needs to start blaming the idiots who who bring many of these incidents upon themselves.
On 8/27/2016 3:44 AM, Bod wrote:

Not excuses, but reasons. It probably could have been prevented from both sides. I prefer to deal with the facts rather than speculation.
On 27/08/2016 14:19, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Fair point.
On 8/27/2016 8:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Another perspective.
https://www.rt.com/usa/357186-deaf-man-police-brother/
--
Maggie