Deaf mute father shot dead by police while trying to communicate with them

Page 4 of 12

The punishment is for the murder, not for getting charged.

I'm assuming the clown did it.
--
A worried father confronted his daughter one night.
"I don't like that new boyfriend, he's rough and common and bloody stupid with it."
On 8/28/2016 10:40 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

In America we are given the right to a trial.

Not required in usenet.
--
If the Pope goes #2, does that make it "Holy Shit"?

If you can't tell the difference between a discussion and a trial, I suggest you go get a brain transplant.
--
There was a blackout in my neighborhood last night.
I had to shoot him before he stole everything.
On 8/28/2016 7:02 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

The above wasn't justified.
--
Bumper sticker: "Help! She's farted and I can't get out."

On 8/28/2016 4:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Of course it wasn't justified!
--
Maggie

Then it was murder.
--
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's fun and games that you can't see anymore.

On 8/28/2016 6:01 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

If you or some other ordinary citizen did it, it would be murder, but if a cop does it, it's part of his job.
--
Maggie

On 8/28/2016 6:26 PM, Muggles wrote:

You saw the final report? Just how did you come to this conclusion and knowing all the facts? Both of you are really amazingly stupid and prejudicial. According to our laws we have the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise but please, don't let the Constitution get in your way.
On 8/28/2016 7:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What about it being a speeding stop justifies killing a deaf mute man trying to communicate with the cops?
Oh ... I forgot. The cops are saying "OOOPPS!!" again.
--
Maggie

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 8:13:05 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Heh, she says she's a conservative, you know!
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 11:59:17 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Says who? The car can be registered to his wife, mother, GF or a leasing company. And even if they pulled his drivers license, how do you know what they put or don't put on a driver's license in every state?
On 2016-08-27 9:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

license is whether I need glasses to drive. I do wear glasses, but that box is not checked as my eyesight has not been deemed bad enough, but do not get me to read road signs without them. There is no spot for other medical information.
--
Froz....

On 8/27/2016 8:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's totally possible the cop didn't have that information, but when the man got out of his car and began using sign language, that should have been a gigantic HINT to the cops he was deaf.
LE are supposed to be trained to deal with the public and all sorts of situations. What ever happened to "assessing the situation and communicating with the public"??
--
Maggie

On 8/27/2016 11:22 AM, Muggles wrote:

You saw it? You know the lighting was good? The signing could be interpreted properly?
I understand from the link you posted he was afraid of the police so I would have thought he would take even more precaution or sought help to find out exactly what to do.

Yes, I hope we get more facts.
On 8/27/2016 11:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wasn't there, and it doesn't matter if the signing could be interpreted by the officer or not. If the officer couldn't communicate with the man, he should have found someone who could.

Hindsight is better than foresight? It's easy to say what the "right" response should have been from the deaf man, but many people simply don't understand deaf people or why they respond the way they do. They think deaf people must be stupid if they don't respond like a hearing person would, or they don't respond logically.
One thing I've noticed is that totally deaf people are way more animated when they communicate - waving of the arms along with facial and body expression. Just an observation.

Me too.
--
Maggie

On 8/27/2016 12:15 PM, Muggles wrote:

You are making an assumption that he did not understand sign language. He may not have seen enough to know it was that and not someone flailing his arms in anger. Don't draw a conclusion on your supposition.

Just as it is easy for you to say what the police response should have been. Unless you witnessed it or saw video, you have no idea what really happened.

You seem to want to assess a situation you did not see. Try working from facts before drawing conclusions.
On 8/25/2016 7:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The man may have wanted to go to a safe place before stopping, and being hearing impaired could have been a major insecurity for him and his wanting to go to a familiar and safe place. So, heading home and stopping there was a logical response for someone with his disability.
I haven't heard anything about him leading some high speed chase. He simply drove until he got home. It makes sense for him to do that with his disability.

I don't know many people who don't recognize sign language. They may not understand it, but it's obvious it's sign language.

I tend to think the cop was just jumpy and overreacted, again.
--
Maggie

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 22:50:03 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I strongly disagree. If he's licensed to drive he should understand that when the police want you to stop, you do so at the first 'safe place'. This does not mean your home, it means the first place it is safe to stop. If you're not in a construction zone or the middle of a bridge or tunnel, it means the shoulder of the roadway.
If the guy was on vacation in Florida, would he expect to drive 800 miles instead of eight?

His diability might have made him take a bit longer to notice he's being followed by the police. But there is no disability that allows one to drive all the way home. Someone who engages in a low speed chase is either impaired, deranged, or OJ Simpson.

I'm not so sure about that. He had someone who failed to pull over. The most likely explanation is someone impaired, deranged, or engaged in a criminal act.
I feel pity for the deaf man, but the first sign language he should have used with a reasonable expectation to be understood by police is the universal 'hands up - don't shoot'. Even illiterate impaired gang bangers understand that.