Deaf mute father shot dead by police while trying to communicate with them

Page 3 of 12
On 8/25/2016 7:05 AM, Bod wrote:

"Witnesses described him using his arms to try and communicate with police"
Using his arms how? Waving them around or sign language gestures? We don't know the full details about HOW things were done. There are no indications of time. Was it dark? Was it difficult to see anything in his hands while he may have been "waving" them? Far too many variables to consider. When an officer is directing instructions and a person continues advancements without obeying those instructions, they have no idea of intent and if they are armed or harboring a bomb.
The bottom line is simple... as I stated...cops have lights and sirens. Sirens aren't always used, but lights are. We know blind people don't drive, therefore, deaf people will see lights. It is known to NEVER exit the car if being pulled over. This guy made all the wrong moves. If he did it right, he'd be alive. I can't understand why it's that difficult to gasp. I still favor the cops.

The bottom line is simple... as I stated... the cop in this case was little more than an armed thug. He should be prosecuted for first degree murder and given the death penalty if found guilty.
On 8/25/2016 11:24 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

Of course, because the driver is blameless. <rolls eyes>
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 11:56:51 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

The driver isn't blameless, but from what we know so far, what happened here sure sounds pretty bad on the part of the cop. It was just a failure to stop for a traffic offense. He drove home, he's certainly not the first guy that did it, drunks and similar do it frequently. There were multiple cops in pursuit, plenty to be able to aprehend him if he tried to get away. The guy didn't have any weapon, posed no threat to the cops. What was the urgent need to fire and take his life? The cops are supposed to be trained professionals that know how to successfully deal with all kinds of potentially dangerous situations. This incident was relatively benign, yet the cop managed to end it with a fatality. That cop's career is over and he'll probably be charged with manslaughter and from what I've seen so far, he should be.
On 8/25/2016 12:25 PM, trader_4 wrote:

We will agree there's more to the story and agree to disagree.
On 8/25/2016 11:24 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

I'm still neutral until we find out more.
Why didn't he stop? It was dark and he was allegedly using sign language. How many cops would recognize that in the dark? For that matter, how many people, unless they have been trained?
OK. I'm almost neutral, 60 - 40 in favor of the cop for now. Facts may change that.
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 8:05:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

How do you justify the cop shooting him when he was unarmed and using sign language? I don't care what the guy is doing, he could be failing his arms around, jumping up and down, taking his clothes off. Unless he presents a deadly, immediate threat to the cop or someone else, what's the justification for shooting? This guy apparently was a felony chase, why didn't they follow the felony stop procedures, where the cops stay protected, give him commands to lay down on the ground, until they are sure what's going on? This looks an awful lot like the shooting of the 12 year old in Cleveland, where the cops through incompetence, just went right up to the guy, instead of just proceeding cautiously and then panicked and overreacted to a threat that wasn't there.
On 8/25/2016 8:46 PM, trader_4 wrote:

He's deaf. What commands will he hear? He continued towards them and not knowing he was deaf, they had no idea what was about to happen. If he would have stayed in the car, the cops would have soon discovered he was deaf and he'd be alive.
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 6:12:18 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

I didn't say he would hear any commands. I said if the cops followed the felony stop procedure, they would have been a good distance away from him, in protective positions, guns drawn, and there would have been no immediate need to fire on him. Putting yourself in a position where you need to fire should be the last resort, not the first option.

I'd like to see the reference for that. All I've read is that he got out of the car and was using sign language to communicate. Even if he was moving toward them, is that what cops are supposed to do, trained to do? Shoot an unarmed man dead when they are plenty of cops around and plenty of methods of subduing someone?
and

How well did that work for the black guy last month? He was pulled over for a traffic stop and the cop shot and killed him while he was sitting in the car, with his baby in the back seat.
On 8/26/2016 5:11 AM, Meanie wrote:

The cops should have known he was deaf if they ran his license plate.
--
Maggie

On 8/26/2016 11:59 PM, Muggles wrote:

No, they would not.
My wife has a handicapped permit and there is nothing on the registration that indicates anything, let alone the reason.
On 8/26/2016 11:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have a handicapped permit, too, and the only way I got it was to send it to the DMV.
--
Maggie

On 8/27/2016 12:38 AM, Muggles wrote:

Yes, they have a form filled out by your doctor. It does not give detailed information to the police. Look at your license and see what it says. Look at your registration and see what is says. Look at the government regulations on medical record privacy and see what is is allowed to say.
On 8/27/2016 12:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered with this police shooting. I've said for quite some time that cops are becoming overly aggressive. If a cop can't tell someone is speaking sign language there's something wrong with their training.
If anything, this should be a wake up call as to how police need to pay more attention to the situation and the people they're interacting with. IMO, there's no excuse for shooting unarmed people, let alone, using lethal force as a first option.
--
Maggie

On 27/08/2016 16:02, Muggles wrote:

On 8/27/2016 10:26 AM, Bod wrote:

Thanks!
--
Maggie

On 8/27/2016 11:02 AM, Muggles wrote:

Yes. Meantime, you and others are drawing conclusions without facts to back them up.
I've said for quite some time that cops are becoming overly

Were you there? How well could the cop see? What was being gestured? Please read your first statement about questions that need to be answered.

Maybe. What we really need is a weapon that will instantly immobilize a person but is not lethal. Taser was supposed to partly fill that need but you have to be fairly close. There are objections to the taser also, but it is a better choice than a bullet.
On 8/27/2016 10:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sign language is a well known means of communication. If someone had spoken French, or German, or Chinese it would have been obvious they needed an interpreter.
What is wrong with LE that they shoot first and think logically later?

Distance is the logical answer until communication can be established between cops and the public. Lethal force isn't the answer.
--
Maggie

On 8/27/2016 12:10 PM, Muggles wrote:

Revert back to Eds reply above. You have no idea what really went down and quick to assume and judge the wrongdoing from the cops.
On 8/27/2016 1:58 PM, Meanie wrote:

I've read many articles at this point, and the information is pretty much the same. The cop shot and killed a deaf mute because he had been speeding.
What's next? Cops killing little old ladies for going TOO slow in the fast lane??
--
Maggie