Deaf mute father shot dead by police while trying to communicate with them

Page 12 of 12
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:44:49 AM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:

Sure doesn't seem that way to me. We've had the cops kill the 12 year old in the park in Cleveland, kill the black guy who they pulled over with his baby in the back seat, kill three unarmed guys in the back who were running away from traffic stops, beat another motorist up who was not resisting after they caught him following a chase, etc.
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 05:10:00 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

With less cameras, you would not even be seeing these examples.
Yes it does *seem* like the police are getting worse. But remember that there are, on average, smarter than criminals. They read the news too.
Per Mike Duffy:

Probably less ... buy maybe not *too* much: http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id 836
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Mike Duffy:

I have to wonder when the police are going to catch on to that.
Rodney King was when?.... 1992? 1993?.... That's almost 25 years for the idea that "You're on candid camera" to sink in.... but it seems like some still have not gotten the message.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:21:07 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

+1
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 9:27:39 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Even with a warning it's not justified if the guy is unarmed and poses no immediate deadly threat. IDK how close to the guy the cop was, but the cop should never have gotten close to him without first figuring out what was going on. And even if he was close, then he should only be closing the distance when he can see what the guy is doing and that he has no weapon. Police have to deal with disabled people, people with mental problems all the time. If the standard now is that because someone is standing there waving their arms around, you can shoot them, we'd be in a very sorry place.

Obviously some of them are and I think it will turn out this cop is probably one of them.
Per trader_4:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/half-people-killed-police-suffer-mental-disability-report-n538371
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

OTOH, look at http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2015/06/30/distraught-people-deadly-results/ and start working your way through the incidents (MouseOver the orange rectangles).
I gave up by the third row, but every one up there contained the phrase "...armed with..." - either a knife or a gun.
Maybe somebody higher on the OCD scale can do them all and report back... -)
I'm probably as close to any redneck's vision "Bleeding Heart Liberal" as anybody but if somebody is showing a gun or moving towards me with a knife I think I'd start shooting too.... albeit, assuming a 15-round magazine and the knife-wielder were not moving too fast, I might put the first 5-or-so rounds low hoping to take out a leg... but no promises.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 11:07:36 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Agree. There is a big difference between someone with mental problems and someone armed with mental problems.
Another example of police doing dumb things was that incident about a month ago, Miami I think, where the cop shot a caregiver to a mental patient. The guy was autistic and had left the facility, so he found him and was bringing him back. The police somehow received a call that someone was attempting suicide. They responded, got the cargiver flat on his back in the street, hands up in the air, with the 27 year old patient sitting cross legged beside him, playing with a toy truck. The black caregiver told the police repeatedly, that he was the caregiver, that he was taking the guy back to the facility, that the guy just had a toy truck. The cop shot the black guy anyhow. The cop apparently was trying to shoot the mental patient but missed badly.
Seems to me too many cops think their gun is some kind of multi-purpose tool, to be used as the first and only thing needed. I wonder if they use it to open beers too?
Per trader_4:

Aside from the not hiring people with too high IQ's thing there are also the secondhand reports I have heard of certain police departments paying minimum wage.
I know the "Dumb Cop" thing is mostly a bad rap and that it must irritate normal police officers no end, but it's not like there is no basis for it.
Also, just as pedophiles are attracted to child care jobs and pyromaniacs are attracted to fire fighting jobs I am thinking that it is likely that people with certain personality disorders are attracted to a job where they get to use force on people.
Probably a percentage in the single digits... but still a factor.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:52:51 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I saw the head of the Newark, NJ police union on TV. He said that with the cuts in benefits, cuts in pension, low starting salary, that now it's I can't get a job at McDonalds, Walmart, or Taco Bell, Newark PD is next. Plus with all the negative coverage they are getting, knowing that you're one incident away from being charged for a crime you didn't commit, like in Baltimore, who would want that job? Probably the misfits with mental issues you were talking about are still interested.
On 8/26/2016 2:08 PM, trader_4 wrote:

One main problem is the outrageous salaries for administration and the minimal salaries for the blue collar and labor profession.