Deaf mute father shot dead by police while trying to communicate with them

Page 11 of 12
On 8/27/2016 4:03 PM, Bod wrote:

Yeah ... well, I hope it doesn't become open season on cops all over again because this one idiot thought he'd assassinate someone for speeding.
--
Maggie

On 27/08/2016 22:14, Muggles wrote:

proportion of trigger happy cops needs thinning out.
On 8/27/2016 4:24 PM, Bod wrote:

yeah I totally agree.
--
Maggie

On 8/27/2016 5:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

You really don't care that you look foolish making those conclusions based on a few reports.
On 8/27/2016 9:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Cop killing citizens has resulted in citizens taking their frustration and revenge out on cops in the past. This cop killing isn't all that different.
--
Maggie

On 8/27/2016 5:03 PM, Bod wrote:

That leads me to think there is much more to the story than we know. His fear may have made him act irrationally. So far, not enough facts to draw any conclusions.
On 28/08/2016 04:50, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 4:55:27 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

It isn't. The cop has a lot of explaining to do, and from what we know so far, I agree, it looks like he has a lot of responsibility for what happened. Anytime you shoot an unarmed person, you better have a damn good reason. But, as usual, you fail to recognize that the deaf guy also bears responsibility for what happened. In almost every one of these police shootings of someone who was unarmed, it never would have happened if the perp had just acted like a normal, civil person would when confronted by police. The perps bear varying degrees of responsibility for creating a toxic environment that ends badly. What this guy did was not horrific, but he did create a toxic situation.
On 8/27/2016 5:14 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Best synopsis thus far and yet, she still can't comprehend.
On 8/27/2016 2:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

Pull your head outta yer *** and read this:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/02/15/what-to-do-when-you-get-pulled-over-by-the-police/
If you get out of your car and find yourself surrounded by the police maybe it would be a good time to *slowly* put your hands up...but apparently our deaf mute father wasn't that smart.
On 8/25/2016 10:24 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

If the cop had been following him for 8 miles, don't they usually call in or have a computer on board that gathers the license plate information? Wouldn't that information had also included the fact that the man was death and mute??
--
Maggie

On 8/25/2016 11:42 PM, Muggles wrote:

Depends on the state and the information it provides. IMO, ALL states should provide a permanent handicap on the license or in the lien system for cops to view, but not all of them do.
On 8/26/2016 6:19 AM, Meanie wrote:

It may be on the operator's license but registration is usually neutral. Anyone could be driving the car. Registered owner has nothing to do with the actual driver in many cases. Could have been registered to a leasing company too.
On 8/26/2016 5:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good point. I forgot about the part when an officer checks the vehicle.
On 8/26/2016 5:19 AM, Meanie wrote:

I hope some more information is revealed about how that information was handled in this situation.
--
Maggie

That could be a violation of HIPAA regulations about privacy of medical records.
On 8/27/2016 12:23 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I can understand many medical conditions, but one cannot keep private their deafness when dealing with the public.
Per Meanie:

I dunno.... By the accounts I have read, he was not displaying any sort of weapon. And, from the photos, he looks really scraggly/skinny... kind of sick, even....
I wasn't there, but I would like to hear from *somebody* that the cops gave some sort of warning before they killed him.... like displaying their weapons for more than a tenth of a second before pulling the trigger..... Or maybe a taser...
I think the cops are simply primed to pull their guns and shoot in many situations where that could be avoided. I know it's easy to comment on somebody else's job... but too much of the stuff we are seeing over the past couple of years is really beyond the pale - and I see no reason to assume that it magically began when cell phone cams came into wide use.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 21:27:29 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Indeed. In fact, there is every indication that prevalence of innocuous cameras has enormously mitigated abuse of power in all venues. Teddy bear cams, dash cams, lapel cams, and especially cell phone cams have made border guards, police, security agents, bouncers, etc. all much more polite and less liable to exceed their authority.
For every camera you can see, count on a few you cannot.