Deaf mute father shot dead by police while trying to communicate with them

Page 2 of 12
(PeteCresswell) brought next idea :

I agree, that (and this) could have been handled better.
On 8/24/2016 9:59 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

hmmm I can't always hear what's around me, and even worse I can't always tell what direction it's coming from, either. It may be time to carry a sign with large print that says "HEARING IMPAIRED: DON'T SHOOT ME!"
--
Maggie

On 8/25/2016 11:34 PM, Muggles wrote:

Frankly, that's not a bad idea. Though, less extreme would be to have it displayed where it can be seen when/if a cop pulls one over.
On 8/26/2016 5:23 AM, Meanie wrote:

It's not a bad idea, actually. I'd never have thought I'd ever actually need to do anything like that, though.
--
Maggie

On 08/24/2016 08:53 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

When the only weapon you have is a gun, everyone you encounter is a criminal.
Perce

Oddly enough, deaf mutes can be scary. Ran into 3 of them one evening in a warren of cubicles when I was looking for a college professor. They were probably looking for somebody too. I was alone when they approached me from behind, silently, then moved into my line of sight and all 3 of them began signing at me. It was an alien experience. They probably realized they would get nowhere with me, and quickly left. Scared the hell out of me.
On 08/23/2016 11:39 PM, Bod wrote:

Here's what I do when I see the pretty flashing lights in my rear view mirror:
1. seat belt off 2. window down 3. license, registration and proof of insurance at ready on dash 4. hands on wheel, do not make sudden movements 5. put my mouth in neutral and my brain in gear
Number 5 is really important. A motorist should shut the fuck up, accept the ticket politely and have an attorney argue in court if they feel they must.
On 25/08/2016 09:59, Harry Butz wrote:

> In the UK, you'd only do number 5. If a driver gets stopped, you can get out of the car and stroll up to the police car and chat to the cops. No threats or commands from the cops and certainly no gun pulled on you. It's a relaxed liaason.
It's a good job that I didn't get pulled over when I was in the US because I'd probably have been shot for doing the above. Frightening thought.
On 25/08/2016 10:19, Bod wrote:

> Bod
On 25/08/2016 09:59, Harry Butz wrote:

> Correction! "liaison"
Bod

What are you correcting?
--
I was on a Southwest flight once that was delayed at the gate after everyone boarded. The flight attendant said over the intercom, "We're sorry for the delay. The machine that normally rips the handles off your luggage is broken, so we're having to do it by hand. We should be finished and on our way shortly."

On 26/08/2016 00:49, James Wilkinson wrote:

The relevence has been snipped.
Bod was thinking very hard :

Wrong subthread:
"No threats or commands from the cops and certainly no gun pulled on you. It's a relaxed liaason."

I saw later, that you replied again to the message you replied to originally when you made a misspelling, instead of to your own reply.
--
I lost the trivia contest at the church social last night by one point.
The last question was: "Where do most women have curly hair?"
On 27/08/2016 00:57, James Wilkinson wrote:

I need a lie down! ;-)

Do that in the UK and you get done for endangering ONLY YOURSELF by not wearing one.

We don't have to carry those, why do you? Ours simply check the details over the radio.

Completely unnecessary here, because the cops don't automatically assume we're all vicious American thugs.

Nope, talking your way out of it before you get it is the best way to avoid the ticket. Apologise, say you didn't realise you were going that fast, distract them with everyday conversation, or even better a fault with your car that allows them to give you a lesser ticket.
--
In the first few days of the Olympics the Rumanians took gold, silver, bronze, copper, lead and anything else they could get their bloody hands on.

I cannot completely fault the cops. I know it's not the method you're accustomed to in the UK, but this isn't the UK. There are many instances where idiots get out of their vehicle and kill a cop. They cannot know or assume the type of person they are dealing with. EVERY driver should know how to act when/if being pulled over by police. Stop the car, turn off ignition, role down window, hands on wheel and await instructions. Being deaf does not excuse that. It is the responsibility of the deaf driver to have a method of communication, such as paper and pen/pencil, sign, etc. to notify if pulled over. In some states, the handicap is noted on the license.
Lights on a police car are their for a reason. There is no excuse to not see them and continue driving. This guy did, finally stopped and exited the vehicle waving hands. The cops had no idea of his intent. If he would have stopped sooner, remained in his car, he'd be alive. Don't try to pin this on gun happy cops.
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 5:57:44 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

We need to know more, but it does sound like gun happy cops from what we've read so far. You have multiple cars chasing him, arriving at his house, so there is plenty of help available. It's not one cop by himself in the middle of the night somewhere. The guy exits the car and is gesturing in sign language. He had no weapon, there is no indication that anyone thought he had a weapon. Where is the imminent threat to the life of the cop or others that required deadly force? Even if the cop thought he was advancing on him, the cop could have moved back, taken cover while they sorted it out. And who told the cop to get close to him to begin with? Felony stop procedures? Hello?
On 8/25/2016 7:02 AM, trader_4 wrote:

There is little indication of anything. I agree, we need to know more BUT the obvious is as I stated... the driver saw lights, continued driving, stopped and exited then walked towards cops. EVERY driver should know that is a NO NO when getting pulled over and deafness is no excuse. If he simply stopped, put hands on wheel, gestured his deafness, he'd be alive. He did everything wrong and he's dead. It's simple to understand. I still favor the cops.