Deaf mute father shot dead by police while trying to communicate with them

Page 1 of 12
*What's the matter with the trigger happy USA police! They're not content with shooting unarmed black people so they now kill an unarmed deaf and dumb man*
A father who is deaf and mute has been shot dead by police after trying to communicate with them using sign language.
Daniel Kevin Harris, 29, was pulled over for a speeding violation in North Carolina last Thursday when he was driving towards his home.
Officers tried to pull him over but he continued to drive until he reached his address, engaging the police in a brief pursuit.
On pulling up at his home, he stepped out of the car and started signing to state trooper Jermaine Saunders.
Saunders fired a shot at Mr Harris, who was unarmed and died at the scene.
Witnesses described him using his arms to try and communicate with police adding that it appeared as though he was shot ‘almost immediately’ after getting out of the car.
Saunders said that he had shot Harris because he was not following orders and was advancing on officers, according to WCCB.
Mr Harris’s brother, Jay, said: ‘He was unarmed – and he is a deaf individual, and I think that he was just afraid.
‘He could not hear their warnings. He could not hear their commands to stop or to stay away from them.’
http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/23/deaf-mute-father-shot-dead-by-police-while-trying-to-communicate-with-them-6084759/
Bod brought next idea :

There are too many armed thugs trying to kill them.
When I was young, a cop would pull over a car for a traffic infraction and walk up to the car with a pad and a pen. Soon after that they would approach the car with their hand on the butt of their pistol ready to unstrap it. Then they would do so with it already unstrapped just to save them the time to unstrap it if attacked. Now they practically have to have it drawn, aimed and ready to shoot just in case the driver has killing cops on his mind.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the cops for trying to stay alive on the job.

In this case, and in all too many other recent cases, it is the police who are the armed thugs.

I would. I can remember a time when drawing down and shooting was an absolute last resort. Every effort would be employed first to defuse a situation. Today it's shoot first, make excuses and cover up later.
Best thing is to sit tight, take the 5th, argue in court later as appropriate. Unfortunately a deaf mute is going to have difficulty doing that and so he was summarily excuted, SS style, by this "hero."
http://ericpetersautos.com/2014/08/20/officer-go-fuck/
http://ericpetersautos.com/2016/08/11/who-watches-the-watchmen/
http://www.donttalktocops.com
On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 10:44:39 AM UTC-4, Roger Blake wrote:

I think a lot of what you think is new, is in reality just because now everybody has a cell phone cam and is eager to record what happens. Not only cell phone cams, but cams on houses, stores, banks, cop cars, even the cops themselves. So, what happened in the past you never saw. Now suddenly you do and it's all over the media. We have almost a million law enforcement officers in the country, do the math.

IDK what happened here, it should be fully investigated. But clearly he wasn't Mr. Innocent either. He lead the police on an 8 mile car chase instead of pulling over. That doesn't mean he deserves to be shot or that what the cop did was right. But he once again shares something in common with almost every single one of these shootings, which is he created the toxic and dangerous environment.

Yes, things change. When I was a kid, cops patrolled on foot; all had night sticks and their use of them was not uncommon. Detectives had saps or blackjacks and were known to use them when interrogating suspects.
Per trader_4:

The way I read the account, the guy was profoundly deaf - i.e. he could not hear a siren.
OTOH, who doesn't look in their mirror even once in 8 miles?
I wasn't there.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 24/08/2016 13:53, FromTheRafters wrote:

Aye, but it's sooo different here in the UK (as you know). Your cops must be so on edge.
Bod wrote:

With our Obamessiah egging the blacks on to kill them I can see how this sort of thing can happen . And our HNIC is probably cheering that this happened , adds to his narrative of out of control cops killing indiscriminately .
--
Snag

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 11:00:16 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

1) End the war on drugs
2) End policing for profit (speed traps large fines for minor traffic violations)
3) make all dash cam, vest cam video public
4) protect the rights of citizens to video the police
On 24/08/2016 16:06, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On 24/08/2016 16:00, Terry Coombs wrote:

the opposite effect.
Bod wrote:

Your point of view is skewed by the culture you live in . I personally feel much safer with a pistol on my hip or in my pocket - depending of course on where I happen to be at the moment . For instance I feel no need to be armed here where we live now in rural north central Arkansas . But I will NOT got to Memphis Tn to visit our kids without a sidearm . Shots in the night here make us wonder if the neighbor just shot a raccoon in his henhouse . Shots in the night there make us wonder if it was a drive-by or drug/gang related execution .
--
Snag

On 24/08/2016 16:26, Terry Coombs wrote:

was advised not go out at night without a trusted local guy who knew the area. I was told that even in the daytime it can be a bit dodgy too.
Uncle Monster wrote:

I can't disagree with you ... I was unaware that this guy had run afoul of the law before .
--
Snag

Uncle Monster explained on 8/24/2016 :

He may have been deaf, but having a cop car following him presumedly with flashing bar or grille lights and those left-right blinking headlights is hard to not see for miles, was he blind too? He might have been planning on pulling the 'deaf card' and it just didn't work out the way he planned.
I'm with you on this as far as waiting for facts before coming to conclusions though, there's too much jumping to conclusions going on lately.

If it's that dangerous for a cop to encounter a civilian, they shouldn't be stopping them for silly little traffic violations.
--
Dijon vu: the same mustard as before.

On 8/24/2016 1:51 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

What an asinine comment.
Then why bother having traffic laws? Let's allow drivers to do whatever they want whenever they want.

"silly little"
--
Peter is listening to "Motley Crue - Chicks = Trouble"

Per FromTheRafters:

I think it's the mind set. They are primed to take deadly action too soon instead of backing off and/or seeking cover.
The kid in the park with the toy that somebody reported as a gun is a case in point. Cop just drove up and shot the kid instead of approaching with caution, stopping some distance away, taking cover behind his vehicle and scoping the situation out.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 10:59:35 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Again, I agree with you. I don't remember where that was, Cleveland?, but the cop who was driving the car clearly made a big mistake driving right up on the perp. And he wasn't the cop who shot him, it was his partner in the passenger seat, who would up right next to the perp. What discussion they had, whether the partner was in agreement with him driving right up, IDK. If I was the partner, I'd be mighty pissed if someone drove me right up like that, instead of approaching cautiously.