Deaden Sound from Furnace

Utility room with the gas furnace & blower is right beside the family room. Intervening wall is built with 2x4s with thin wood paneling on the family room side.

Someone had put peg-board on the utility room side, but we ripped it out to give the electrician access for some rewiring work. There is no insulation in the wall.

To decrease the noise of the furnace I'd like to put something in the wall space.

Will R-13 fiberglass make any significant difference?

Any better suggestions?

Sam

Reply to
Saml

Very little. Re-sheet the furnace room wall with 5/8" sheetrock. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

This is Turtle

R-13 Insulation is fair to stop sound and so it Ceiling Celitex square what everybody has on their ceiling to start with and stops sound very good. As others have said, Sheet rock, insulation , Ceiltex , and Styro foam squares are all good heat stoppers and sound stoppers too.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

What you need is weight. One solution is to use carpet underlayment (padding), a couple of 1/2" layers would work, and then top that with 1/2" sheetrock. Or you could put a layer of 3/4" plywood or fiberboard in the spaces between the stud, and again top that with 1/2" sheetrock.

Of course they make lead sheet material for this purpose but it is pretty expensive.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Like George said - Mas is key. Also physical separation helps a lot too.

Here are a few scenarios, cheaper/easier to more elaborate. I will not even suggest anything an average handy person couldn't do.

Option one Add one or two layers of 5/8 sheetrock to inside of wall.

Option two Add sheetrock to both sides of wall, on outside you can just put your paneling back over the sheetrock.

Option 3 Build a new wall inside the old wall, not connected to the old wall. If you have room, of course. Then insulate with solid foam, in both walls, and drywall both walls, inside and out.

Option 3 will be most effective. In all these situations your access door is probably the weakest link. if you access door is not louvered to supply fresh air or serve as a return you can consider putting a solid wood or metal door in its place. Also weather stripping, even the floor, will help greatly.

Reply to
No

Tip: Using a E-mail program that is not susceptible to control by hackers makes sense to me... I use Agent: It's free and available from

Tip2: Using a mail sort program that you can train to sort out the spam really reduces your workload, try POPFILE, it's free too!
3: I use a program called "SPYBOT- Search & Destroy" to eliminate popup's and adware, it's free and available from:
4: Is your computer HACKED???!!! Find out at
or
-Free, of course!

BJ Nash Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor Super Soundproofing Co.

Ph: (760) 752-3030 FAX: (760) 752-3040 E-mail: bj snipped-for-privacy@soundproofing.org TOLL FREE: (888) 942-7723

Reply to
BJ Nash