Dead Raccoon Trapped Under Deck -- What to Do?

Page 2 of 2
"I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in a location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart."
Pics?

Couple of thougts come to mind.
1. I would assume rigimortis has set in so moving the body as a whole shouldn't be a problem. Is there a way to get rope around the animal and drag it out from underneath the deck. I would take a long pole and attach rope to the end of it which would allow you to hook and drag the animal out.
2. If access is truly an issue from underneath, and it was my deck, (I have a deck made of IPE using the ipe-clips hidden mounting system so gaining access under the deck would be a similarly tough problem), I would cut out one or two (depending on the size of the animal) joist width (16" wide) section(s) of decking directly above the raccoon so that you can get it out of there. I would find where the joists are and mark the lines along the center of the joists. Cut out the section(s) of decking to gain access to the raccoon. I would use my Fein Multimaster as it has a saw attachment that allows straight forward cuts with a very thin kerf so that the decking could easily be screwed back in place using the Trimstar screws. Depending on how you cut the decking out, you might have to put in a replacement section of decking. Also, depending on how your deck was built, you could use nails or regular decking screws.
While it would break the clean look of the deck, I would much rather have that than the smell, disease, and infestation of rodents and other animals that will naturally come. This would also allow you to properly treat the area where the raccoon has been as I am sure it has been there a while.
Remember to seal all access point to the underside of the deck so this doesn't happen in the future.
Hope these ideas help.
David
P.S. I plan to redesign the way my deck is sealed off when I complete the steps to make every effort to prevent something like this from happening in the future... Thanks as it was not something I had put much thought into.

How did the racoon get in, then? There's obviously a racoon-sized hole somewhere. Stick a wire-noose through that hole, and poke/drag it over to the corpse with a stick and/or hooks down through the cracks.
Failing that, grab a shovel and dig a tunnel.

Suggestion #1: Call your county animal control gang. They should either come on and solve your problem OR give you instructions for a DIY solution.
Suggestion #2: Call a pest removal service.
Dick

The mafia (which does not really exist) swears by lime.
Does it know where you live? Call around to some real hardware stores and see if one of them has a snow rake. That's a shovel sort of an affair with VERY long aluminum snap-together poles. Rig up something with a snare, or some large fish hooks.
Weren't you ever a girl scout???
I had something dead under my decking. It must have been a possum. It stunk pretty bad. I happened to have several large quart bottles of Listerine. I dumped them were it seemed to smell worst and where the dogs thought it was. Smelled like a dentist's office for several days and then it went away.
Doug Kanter wrote:

yick. <G>
You wouldn't really want to kill the bacteria if you intended to let it rot.
Lovely topic.....

I have a question. Did you poison the raccoon and it died in its home? I have a family of raccoons living under my deck, was thinking about poisoning, but worried they will die under the deck. Interesting dilemma.
:) I have a question. Did you poison the raccoon and it died in its home? I :) have a family of raccoons living under my deck, was thinking about :) poisoning, but worried they will die under the deck. Interesting dilemma. :) :) :) Animals have a tendency to head home when sick, so more of a chance of dying where they are living.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
I presume that the deck is at or near ground level.
Can you stick something stiff down between the boards and move it to a place where you can reach it? Piano wire is very stiff in the larger sizes. Even a piece of lattice or one of those driveway reflector posts.
Now that I'v had my say, I am new to the group searching for an answer to my sod delema. I'll continue my search.
Thanks.

not difficult.

I have a tool that is handy for such tasks. I took the 10' fiberglass pole from a bicycle flag, removed the flag, and hose clamped a hook made of some brass rod (approx 1/8") to the end. Allows me to reach into lots of places.
Personally, I would just leave it to decompose. The worst of the stench should be gone in a couple of weeks.
I wouldn't touch it--it may have died of rabies.

Drive around town until you find a guy standing on the street asking for money. Tell him to get in, you have a job for him to do. Get him to do it, then feed him lunch.

Better let him eat the lunch first.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:50:42 -0400, "Frank Rosenbaum"

Personally I don't think it will cause disease. Depressing topic but someone on the news pointed out that the dead bodies from Katrina wouldn't cause disease even if they weren't buried quickly.
It is people or animals who die from communicable diseases that are a health risk. Of course maybe you don't know what killed the raccoon.
But soon the bugs and flies will find it and eat it. When they are done, they'll leave. What part of the country are you in and how long has it been there?

The traditional substance is lime. a powder, white, I think. It's used iirc when people are afraid of contagion and there are too many bodies to bury them right away. Maybe I'm thinking of cases when cattle die. It speeds decomposition iiuc. I think you can buy it at garden stores, where it is sold to change the pH of soil iirc. Sure, don't people spread it on lawns for that reason?

To reply to my own post, it was after the tsunami in the far east that I heard some scientist on the radio say this. Then I heard someone repeat it after Katrina, that people killed by other than communicable disease are not a health hazard (for quite a while?)
can you not just remove one or two boards to get to it?
wrote:

To reply to my own post, it was after the tsunami in the far east that I heard some scientist on the radio say this. Then I heard someone repeat it after Katrina, that people killed by other than communicable disease are not a health hazard (for quite a while?)

No more so than any other rotting carcass, no. They are, however demoralizing, so it's best to get them removed from the vicinity of the emotionally traumatized as quickly as possible.
And the longer you wait, the more gross and disgusting the process is going to be.