Dead Raccoon Trapped Under Deck -- What to Do?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
Hope someone can help.
I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in a location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart. I have no problem letting it decompose naturally but the stench is bad and I am worried about disease.
I can see it through the cracks in the deck and can pour liquid or powder (maybe) on the carcass.
Any suggestions as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to avoid tearing apart the deck.
Thanks.
Alan

Lime. Can you get it through the cracks? I'd also be concerned that it will attract mice or rats or other nasty feeders.

Decomposing naturally means, maggots will invade and then eventually hatch into flies. You will be inundated with both.
Roland
I can get powder down there probably. Where does one tyically to go to buy lime?
wrote in message

Any garden supply should have it as it is used on lawns.
Thanks.

Or any farm supply / feed store.
Lime ? Lime ?
Pouring garden lime(stone) [calcium carbonate] on the dead critter would do nothing. After all, you can spread it right onto your lawn and no harm is done. It is simply used to adjust the soil pH.
Thats LIME.
Now, if you want to dissolve a body (ala SOPRANOS), its LYE that you want to use, not Lime. LYE is what they used to make soap in the old days.. This is Sodium Hydroxide It WILL dissolve fat and body material (and clogs in your drain, and metal pipes!)
Guido

On the lawn you use it in moderation. On a dead critter you would use lots more. It will definately help eliminate odors of rotting things. I've used it where a gray-water pipe outlet has gone sour. We used to use it in the outhouse to tone things down a bit.
For the lawn- a translucent coating that can hardly be seen. For killing odors-- a solid coating, maybe 1/4" thick should calm things down for a bit.

That might work-- but i'll bet lime is cheaper and it is certainly easier to get ahold of in quantity.
Jim

Pop a couple of decking boards up, reach down and pull that sucker out. Get him quick while he still has rigormortis. Once he bloats, you risk pulling a limb off or popping him open and releasing thousands of maggots.
Good luck.
Problem is the way the deck was constructed, I can't pop up any boards and get to him. Stupid design, but my only option is to either dismantle a huge section of deck or cut into it.
Alan

How did the damned thing get in there? Here's an idea: Get thee to a fishing tackle shop. Get a spool of the heaviest monofilament line they've got, and either a very heavy lure with large treble hooks, or have them help you rig treble hooks with an inline trolling sinker. Start fishing.

Sounds like opening up the deck is not an option.
Start with the lime and after that has had a day or two to work, dump some dirt or sand on the whole mess to bury it and then forget about it. Seal up any access so that it can't happen again.
Option 2: get it real wet and go on vacation for 3 weeks.

Then dig under the deck. Often easier to remove some soil than the deck itself.

In the produce section of your local grocer. Usually next to the lemons.....
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

Man, you sure cover all the news groups. <g>
Dan..........from ASC!
Dan on 6/13/05 5:31 AM wrote:

You do too!
--