dead oven

Page 2 of 2

On Dec 2, 6:03am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Denise in NH) wrote:

Denise-
as per the other posts......its most likely the glowbar
I had a GE oven fail to work ON Thanksgiving a couple years ago. It was the "glowbar" / ignitor...both the oven one & the broiler one!
I was in a jam & just called my local repair guy since I priced them online & his price installed wasnt all that much more than the parts.
Prices have come down (it appears) since then, the part I needed was online at $125 but now (same website is only $70). If you can stand the wait and you can find the one you need on ebay you can get them for even less.
here;s a link to a site that I use quite frequently for parts
http://www.repairclinic.com/Amana-Range-Stove-Oven-Parts?s=a13c249b1e
this link shows all the Amana glowbars pick the one that matches OR get your stove model number and redo the selection
Depending on access to the glowbar wiring, your husband may have to slide the stove out and remove an access panel to replace the unit. Just to be one the safe side, unplug the stove or throw the breaker.
cheers Bob
Denise in NH wrote:

Most likely the gas igniter for the oven. That's a separate device from the one for the cooktop. The igniter heats up and ignites the gas flowing into the oven burner. As a safety feature, the gas valve closes/won't open when the igniter fails. It can go out quite suddenly. Mine died a few weeks ago while the oven was operating. The gas valve then shut off and that was the end of the cake in the oven. I had Sears replace it. They charged $100 for the part and $130 for the service call. You can probably get it done cheaper than that, Sears tends to be spendier than most local service techs.
Another possibility is that the gas valve switch may have been bumped into the off position. If you have a drawer underneath your oven, the switch may be located at the back end of the oven, and the drawer might have bumped it off. If you still have your range's owners manual, check it to see where the switch is located. Try flipping it in the other direction and see if that fixes things. If it doesn't, it's probably the igniter.