dead oven

Page 1 of 2

Hi folks, this is my first time to ask a question. I have a 5 year old Amana natural gas stove. It worked perfectly on Thanksgiving. Today, although the burners work, and the broiler works, the oven will not heat at all for baking.
This appliance was not used at all since Thanksgiving, as we have a little counter top oven for everyday use.
Off the top of your head, without getting too technical, could you give me a couple of ideas on what my husband could check out. He's very mechanical but doesn't usually work on stoves.
Denise
Denise in NH wrote:

The first thing I would check would be the position of the thermocouple, if your oven has a standing pilot light. Posting the model number of your oven may give one of the fellows who knows appliances more of a clue as to what may be a common problem with your particular stove. What I have see happen to stoves with an oven that will not heat or stay lit, is that somewhere, sometime, something heavy or bulky knocked something loose in the oven. I had a problem with our own Roper gas stove where the thermocouple/flame sensor was not positioned correctly and the pilot flame was not heating it up enough. It could be that some turkey knocked your oven out of whack. (pun intended)
TDD
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:28:40 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yeah, the fact that it died after one of the biggest meals of the year may well be a factor - I agreee, it's worth checking that something didn't get knocked out of line, or that something didn't spill where it shouldn't have spilled...
All that might just be coincidence, of course! (particularly if the OP doesn't otherwise use the oven part much)
cheers
Jules
Jules wrote:

I think the oven in the stove here at the house has a flame sensor instead of a thermocouple, the difference being that the sensor is mechanical. When the tip is heated, it expands a working fluid that pushes against a diaphragm at the other end of the capillary tube that in turn releases a mechanical interlock which allows the main gas valve to open. The problem we had was that over several years, the slamming of the oven door and banging around of the racks in the oven was enough to knock the sensor assembly slightly too far away from the pilot flame. All I did was to reach up into the oven and slightly bend the mounting bracket. Function restored.
TDD
I got my ignitor for my GE oven off e-bay for $24 including shipping. The local parts guy wanted $80.
Sure. Just take the back of the oven apart, and see if the thingie is working. Use a doodad to see if it's drawing the proper current, so that the hoozitz opens, and provides stuff to the burner.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You don't have to be quite so sarcastic to someone who poses an honest question!!!

Beyond that- it is bad advice.
The most common problem on a modern oven is the igniter & you can check that without pulling the stove out in most cases.
Jim
I said back of the oven, not back of the whole device.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And I think it's funny how people who don't have anything to say always find a way to say the most.
On Dec 2, 11:06am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Denise in NH) wrote:

Great comeback!!!!
I'll admit, I do feel like Denise is even better schooled in zippy comebacks than anyone in my family. Once in a while, I meet my equal, but seldom get whomped that effectively. Denise did excellent job.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Dec 2, 9:03am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Denise in NH) wrote:

90% of the time its the ignitor ( the plug that glows red in your oven next to the burners). It is easy to check to see if its defective. You need an ohmeter and measure across the 2 leads. If it measures open, its bad and needs to be replaced.
(Denise in NH) wrote:

90% of the time its the ignitor ( the plug that glows red in your oven next to the burners). It is easy to check to see if its defective. You need an ohmeter and measure across the 2 leads. If it measures open, its bad and needs to be replaced.
+++++++++
Probably closer to 98%. Make sure to check prices on the internet.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Denise in NH) wrote: -snip-

Probably the igniter if the stove is less than 20yrs old or so. check repairclinic.com for how to look at it on your stove. http://www.repairclinic.com/Range-Stove-Oven-Repair-Help
Mine only involves pulling out the bottom of the oven. If it doesn't glow at all it is dead. If it glows it still might be too weak to start the oven.
Jim
Well, she did say it was 5 years old, so it's clearly less than 20. The web page should be a good help.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Dec 2, 8:03am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Denise in NH) wrote:

Is the pilot still lit? Ive had them go out. If electronic see if the ignitor works, it might be real simple once opened up.