Dead Outlets and Humming sound

I have 4 outlets on one circuit breaker switch. The outlet closest to the breaker box is working and the three others past the first are dead. With the breaker on, a humming sound is coming from somewhere inside the wall of the first outlet (the good one). No humming when breaker is turned off. However, when I plug in a tester on the one outlet that is working, the 120 light 'blinks' on and off . BUT, if I plug it in on a good outlet somewhere else in the house, it does not 'flash' on 120...the light is nice and steady. How do I troubleshoot this?
Turn the breaker off and take the cover off the first breaker. I'm thinking that you have a loose connection in there. Tighten all the screws that you find and do the same to any "wire nuts" you see in there too.
Ron

of
120
somewhere

the
With
That 'humming' (buzzing?) noise with no load going through the outlet is worrying! That coupled with three outlets 'downstream' suggest that something may have burnt off inside that wall outelt box? Correct immediately.
Richard T wrote:

i would have to agree with the other poster. turn off the braeker and then go to the first outlet and look for a loose wire/screw and keep going to the other outlets to check them also....
I located the culprit. A burnt wire between the first and second outlet. I pulled the wire and it was cut off about 18 inches down...so now i have 18 inches of wire and i need to install a new wire between outlets. Is it easy to run a new wire?

the
With
of
120
somewhere
If you are lucky and the run isn't too long, you can use the old wire to pull a new one through to the next box by attaching the new wire to the old one and using the old one as a snake. It sounds though that you have already pulled the wire out and that presents an entirely different kettle of fish to deal with.
I would sure want to know what burned that wire before proceeding.
Ron

wall
off.
the