Dead outlet/Help!

My bathroom outlet is dead. I've done everything possible, trouble shooting wise, and come up blank. It is wired with Romex and the box below it which I'm sure feeds it is hot. I put in a new outlet so thats not it. I hope someone has a simple answer for me, please. Everything else on that circuit breaker works fine. I'm stymied. Thanks in advance for any help. Don

shooting
which
hope
circuit
I'll ask the most obvious question: Is it a GFI outlet? Does it need resetting? There could also be a GFI outlet earlier on the circuit that needs resetting. I had the latter problem and it cost me $120 for an electrician to push the reset button.

DUH!!!! Never entered my little mind that the button in the OTHER bathroom had anything to do with this one. I had just returned from the hardware store with new wire and boxes and ready for the big job. You guys saved my ass. Thanks big time!

bathroom
hardware
saved my

Glad you benefited from my $120 lesson.
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:29:28 -0400, "The Artist aka Dr Robert Valdez"

Have you reset the gfci?
tom

Hmmmm. Well, if you've done everything possible, then there's nothing more you can do (by definition). Give up and run an extension cord from the nearest working outlet.
OTOH, it really doesn't sound like you've tried to do any tracing with a voltmeter (hard to tell from your description, 'tho). If you're sure the box below is feeding the outlet, then open 'er up (with the breaker off, of course) and make sure the wire going to the non-functional box looks like it's connected well. With power still off, trying some continuity tests with the ohmmeter part of your voltmeter.
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:07:26 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Ha, after living in my house for two years, I found my master bath's recept is gfci protected from the basement. two floors down.
So keep looking.
tom

The Artist aka Dr Robert Valdez, 4/7/2005, 11:29:28 AM,

My bathroom outlet is on a GFCI outlet located in the garage. The kitchen outlets are on a GFCI outlet circuit in the kitchen though.
--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.
The Artist aka Dr Robert Valdez wrote:

As others have said, we get this question a couple of times a week. You have not done everything, you have just done everything you can think of. :-)
Hunt around the house for the GFI outlet (or a GFI breaker in the box) that has been tripped. Now would be a good time to find and test them all. Hit the test button on each one, you should hear a click and then hit the rest button. The one that you don't here the click on is the one that was tripped.
It may trip again because a a fault somewhere else, like a leak in an outside outlet.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit