Dead Hotpoint dishwasher

Hello,

About 4 months after moving into a house with a dishwasher, the things broken down. I've got all the original info - it was bought in October

2001.

Anyway, the thing is totally dead. My wife turned it on and went out. When she got back there was water in the bottom and none of the lights will come on.

I've checked the wall socket and the fuse in the plug. That's about the end of my knowledge. The manual suggested another reason could be a block in the fresh water supply which I don't think is probable - how would that get blocked?

Any ideas or advice on how I could fix it? Bear in mind I've not done this before but I know how to work a multi meter.

Thanks.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Smithson

could be the timer or a safety / latch switch of internal fuse. This isn't one of those famous recall because it will burnt he house down units right ?

Reply to
Steve Stone

I just did a websearch and found a dishwasher with a problem like that -

not mine thank god.

I've found out a bit more about dishwashers and suspect its the pump - as there's loads of water in the bottom. I'll have to take it to a local repair shop that I found last night.

Thanks.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Smithson

control...no knob to turn..try unplugging it for a couple of minutes and then replug and try. Sometimes a little power surge or static electricity will cause an electronic control to lose it's memory and unplugging will let it reset itself. By the way, the d/w's that had the fire problem were Whirlpool and Kenmore made by Whirlpool, not GE or Hotpoint.

Reply to
Tom

What would be most helpful to us is the model number as it is written right on the appliance's model and serial number tag.

I assume you found that there was power?

How about at the dishwasher itself?

Stopping it from *draining*?? I doubt it.

The power supply through the dishwasher would have to be tested to see where it stops. A common place which would affect operation of the whole dishwasher is the door latch switch. Another might be some kind thermal protector if used on whatever model you have.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Sorry - I didn't think I'd be lucky enough to find someone with such detailed knowledge!

It's an Aquarius DC26. It's a slimline model. I don't have the serial number tag to hand. Presumably that's stamped on the back somewhere.

Power at the socket but no lights or noise at all at the dishwasher.

Thanks.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Smithson

I didn't realize you were in the UK, I'm afraid I have no knowledge of how European dishwasher are designed, sorry.

The marketing names on the front of appliances don't usually mean very much. I will tell you that it is only very rarely that an appliance will need to be removed from its enclosure to get to the model and serial number tag.

Look on the tub around the door opening or on the edges of the door itself. It might be necessary for someone familiar with European products to know exactly what machine you have in order to suggest possible causes.

Power at the outlet doesn't necessary mean it is getting to the workings of the appliance. One of the first lessons you learn in appliance repair is, "Don't Assume!"

Good luck.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

(NorthAmerica) =Ð~~~~~~