Dead dishwasher - $250 for control panel?

Page 3 of 3

A couple of years ago, I had a nice 27" Sony that I no longer needed. This was probably 3 or 4 years old. I put it out at the end of my driveway with the remote control and owners manual in a plastic bag on top. It was gone in less than an hour, and I'm sure it made someone very happy.

LOL...Here I can put almost anything on the curb and some moron will pick it up. Have you ever watched that show "American Pickers"? Some people will take just about anything.

This was actually a very nice TV. I just didn't want the bother of trying to sell it. Probably could have gotten a couple hundred for it.
I've done the same with a few computer monitors and airconditioners. All in good shape, but no longer needed. They disappear very fast.

I don't doubt you. It just made me think of all the times I've put stuff on the curb on large pickup days and wondered why people would take the weirdest "trash" out of the pile before the city did their pickup. I know there are a few scrap metal guys because when I put my old completely worthless swimming pool heater out it was gone in a flash. No one could of possibly wanted it except for scrap. I was surprised when no one took my high flow toilet. I thought those would be of some value to someone.

The old toilets bring good $$ if you can sell them, many places I have heard have now made it illegal to sell them. I put three bricks in the bottom of each of our three old-style toilets, kept the top water level the same so they initial rush of water is as much as always, and adjusted the flapper to close a little sooner. This cut water usage by about 1/3. Only hold the handle down until the tank totally drains when there is something that I am suspicious about flushing. Water bill does reflect this lower usage.

The old toilets bring good $$ if you can sell them, many places I have heard have now made it illegal to sell them. I put three bricks in the bottom of each of our three old-style toilets, kept the top water level the same so they initial rush of water is as much as always, and adjusted the flapper to close a little sooner. This cut water usage by about 1/3. Only hold the handle down until the tank totally drains when there is something that I am suspicious about flushing. Water bill does reflect this lower usage.
===== When you have a pool a couple more gallons don't make much difference.
Actually I replaced the commode for design reasons. The old one looked out of place.
The new new low flows work a lot better than the old low flows. I got Jacuzzis and they use a ridiculously low amount of water. The tank fills immediately, it seems. Work a lot better than I would imagine with a small amt of water.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

What I see happen with old TV sets and CRT computer monitors is the metal termites come along and smash the darn thing right there on the street then take the copper deflection coils for their scrap value. I see their messes in the gutter all over the city.
TDD
Yes, I know that folks harvest metals. One friend of mine, woke one day to find no running water. Someone had come in the cellar door. Shut off the main, and hack sawed all the copper loose, and stole it. The same person is one of the metal termites you mention. He harvests the copper coils from TV off the curb.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Apr 7, 12:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Right now with everyone going LCD and flat screen some are giving perfectly good CRT TVs away, as the OP did. For the moment we'll stick with our used TV ($25) which we fixed for four dollars. It it all goes digital probably just give up TV and depend on the TV feeds we get via the internet!

A note: I recently began experiencing performance reduced from my typical experience.
I called P&G relative to the simultaneous change in color (green/ white) of liquid Cascade and was told it had recently been reformulated in compliance with federal regulations to eliminate phosphates.
Before I removed the DW and installed another cabinet I changed the setting to "High Temp Wash" (even though running the water at the sink until it is hot is my SOP, and I think it's pretty hot) and performance has been restored to its previous satisfactory level. -----
- gpsman
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 15:20:26 -0500, Zootal

I've had good luck and performance with Kenmore/Whirlpool and back luck with GE and poor performance with Maytag.

Such is the state of our throw-away society... Parts and the labor to fix the appliance are usually more costly than simply buying a new appliance.
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:53:23 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

See if you can find any numbers that look like part numbers on the part. Take thiose numbers and the model number and do a little internet search. That front panel may not be $250.
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 15:56:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

So is the throw-away society the cuase or the result of these things?

Also, looking a part up on website that sells parts may give a part number.

I've had amazing success just typing a part number into google. When I take something apart, if the part has numbers on it, I just start by enter the part # into google and I'd say about 80% of the time you get hits and places selling it. And there can be a wide range of prices. On a de-humidifier fan motor I'm currently working on, you can get it at Sears parts for $28 or pay $95 at other parts stores.
I don't know how google manages to cull all that info. The most surprising thing I ever saw was when I was fixing my Sears snowblower. I put the Sears model number for the engine in google and among the hits it came back with, one was to an engine repair place. The Sears model # for the engine was buried in the back of an appendix for the complete Tecumseh repair manual for the engine, which was 130 pages long. Even more amazing, it was a PDF that I could download. But how google finds this, buried in the back of a 130 page PDF document amazes me. And also, you'd think it would take more storage than there is in the universe to catalog, index, and keep all that available on google.
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 06:06:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yet, if Google tried to charge even 10 cents for that search result, the world would end in a ball of fire.
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 06:06:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

All I know is that their computers spend a lot of time making indexes, and I guess there is already an index on almost every word and number to be found. I haven't thought about it too much before, figuring I'm not as smart as they are, but it occurs to me that once the first set of indexes is made for every word other than the, an, a, and other they won't search for**, when a new page is found, they can just look up every word on that page and make one more entry on every index that already exists, and create a new index if they find any new words or numbers or number/letter combinatinos (which are probably all treated a like)
**Google and Yahoo won't search for "an" afaik, but including +an in search terms will exclude pages that would otherwise be hits. That's how I figure that works.
Maybe this accounts for some of it. There is also something about their secret alogorith, that is used to rank hits on what you would like to see first. One of the founders said, and the other would probably agree, that their goal is to get you just what you most have in mind, always, and indeed they are pretty good at it, but I don't think there is any way to do it with only the infomration provided these days. Because I myself wouldnt't know exactly what I want with only the information I can give it Still, they're good.
Dear Zoot, I've got an appliance parts company that sells to me. Give me a yell off line, or post your model number and serial, here. I'll drop a call, and let you knwo what I find.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hi, while I have beaten the stats on appliances almost every time, most dishwashers are rated to last 7 years at best. Generally this is why purchasing a used one is not a good idea. Keep this in mind as you look to repair costs.
Stats here:
Hot Water heater: about 25 years old. One element probably bad, cost to repair due to parts alone supportable but skills not up to this on a gas unit. Also not at all energy efficient. Using it for now but getting equal of a 20G tank. Scheduled for replace vice repair. Tax credit this time.
Gas free standing oven- circa 1963. Replaced today. Bent dented sides from renters, chipped to hell and back porcelin (could not have left in place if sold house as was major ugly damage with missing bottom drawer even). Would if not have had renter damage been worth any cost for repair as was a solid unit. They just do not make them like that anymore. Unfortunately while the unit could be repaired to funtional, there was no way to replace all the stove top and 'backsplash' or side panels as it's too old. Cost to repair (fellow out of curiousity checked) was about 450$ because it needed some rare and hard to get fitting. New stove, tax credit again, 699$. Now I have 5 burners (grin) of which one can be converted to those spiffy grills if i want with a pretty simple add on kit.
Fridge- rated 12 years, renter damage. Still works although it looks like they got mad at it and hit it with a baseball bat and knawed on the seals. Got it in 1995. Missing all freezer shelves (wonder what they did with them?). Slated 'eventually' for replacement but no hurry.
Chest freezer: Old one often called 'Bertha Butt'. Commercial unit you could fit a full grown cow in if you folded their legs. Gifted to a church who does a local 'free kitchen'. Bought used for 20$ in 1997. Gifted in 2007. Estimated age 40.
Everything has a lifecyle, if you use the item gently it tends to last. But dishwashers seldom go a real long time past that.
On Tue 06 Apr 2010 03:24:01p, cshenk told us...

My mom had a Kitchen Aid dishwasher that was installed in 1956. It was still in good working and cosmetic condition in 1998 when the house was sold. You'e right, they don't make much of anything like they used to.