Dead dishwasher - $250 for control panel?

Page 2 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Well tell me, what do the guns get coated with during proper operation? I'm always open to learning new things because regardless of what I may think, I don't know everything. *snicker*
TDD
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 08:27:19 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Exhausted material from the cathode itself.
Often you can SEE the crap flake off of a badly encrusuted cathode if you tap on the neck of the tub sharply with a screwdriver handle while the tube is in operation.
*snicker*
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

OH! You're referring to the barium deposits from the dispenser cathodes that can cause a reduction of the G1 aperture diameter as well as K/G1 spacing. Sencore never mentioned this in their literature. Their shtick was about the wearing out of the electron emitter surfaces themselves. The tube tester had a rejuvenation function that would blast the guns and you could see the sparkling through the neck of the picture tube.
TDD
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 09:49:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Well, DUH, Dufas!
WTF do you think I have told you several times now?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The literature from Sencore called this exposing a fresh layer on the emitters not blowing off deposits. Anyhoo, everyone may call it something different.
TDD
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:40:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Exposing a fresh layer by blowing off the dead stuff. Are you really having this much trouble wrapping your head around something so simple?
I would avoid getting too wrapped up in Sencore's "technical" information. Sencore was sort of the "Rent to Own" of the electronics world. Their main business was selling extremely over priced equipment to little mom & pop repair shops who couldn't qualify for a business loan to buy equipment. The Sencore stuff wasn't awful, but you could get MUCH better stuff for a lot less money.
The VA-65, as an example, was an easy to use device for general TV/video work, but couldn't even generate a genuine NTSC white window test pattern. Unfortunately, most service manual photographs of waveforms were made using a genuine NTSC white window pattern generator, so comparing what was in the manuals to what you were looking at on your Sencore was problematic.
The price of the VA-65, like all Sencore equipment, was absurd. If you wanted one, buying from someone going out of business was the way to go.
And scopes? You could buy 2 or 3, 100 MHz Hitachis with far better triggering, etc, for the price of a two channel 60Mhz Sencore scope.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

But Sencore had the exclusive framistan electrode analyzer for color CRT tubes. No one else had such a product. I had new and used Sencore stuff that worked well and did the job. I wasn't sending rockets into outer space. Now I have HP scopes laying around along with other stuff I dreamed of owning. I recently fixed up some HP TDR units for a friend to sell on eBay. The things cost thousands of dollars way back when they were new but some folks still like to use them. The little chart recorders are so cute.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

OOPS! I misspoke, the TDR units were Tektronix 1502's.
TDD
Now, THAT is a Christmas tree!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It sounds like we have both may have worked on a few TV's at some point.
I actually worked more on commercial video and audio equipment, but there were always TV's as part of the mix, and I even went and got licensed for consumer electronics, (Radio/TV/Antenna) even though I really didn't need the license for what I was doing. I just figured it was a good thing to have.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Which license did you get? Me along with a bunch of guys I knew took a license course to help us ace our First Class FCC ticket more than 30 years ago. We were already working on radio stations and two way radio gear, the license just made us legal. The wacky guy giving the course had a favorite made up word to describe any mysterious, incomprehensible gadget. The word is "framistan" and I've been using it ever since. I have a whole story about the situations in which I use the word on "lay persons". *snicker*
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Uh, I think Don Martin, from MAD magazine, coined that one....
I could be wrong, though.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Oh man! Did I ever love Mad Magazine, Spy vs Spy was one of my favorite parts.
TDD
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 22:27:08 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Jack Kamen, who was a founder and illustrator at Mad, was also the father of Dean Kamen, the inventor of the Segway.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

So that's where Dean came up with that haircut. *snicker*
TDD
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 20:24:32 -0500, The Daring Dufas

It's basically my state's version of a CET. Covers me as a tech and also as a dealer who employs techs. I think the test was written during either the Truman or Eisenhower administrations. If you didn't grow up working on tube equipment, the test would be a bit if a challenge. I hear they bought an updated test about 15 years ago that doesn't treat transistors as "new-fangled".
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

My late paternal great uncle was an army lifer and was in the Army Signal Corp since they used two tin cans and a string. I got a lot of stuff from the crusty old master sergeant. You can imagine the tube stuff I got to play with as a kid. It's fun to fool around with tube gear every now and then but DANG it's gotten expensive. I remember when a horizontal output transistor was $35.00 and the tube was $5.00. Now the same transistor costs $1.00 or less and the darn tube is $50.00. At least the tube type equipment will work after an EM pulse.
TDD

Well, you have some nerve posting here!
JimT wrote:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
TDD

At least twice a month I see old Trinitrons being offered on Freecycle. Plenty of other perfectly good old CRTs also need new homes.