dead B+S mower engine

Page 4 of 4

On Thu, 06 May 2010 03:51:19 -0700, Hustlin' Hank wrote:

Yeah, I'll check them. Visually they look good (i.e. seating evenly and no other obvious major drama has occurred) but that's no guarantee that they're not worn so much as to be inefficient.
I've found the allowed clearances for that engine - 0.005 to 0.007" on the intake and 0.009 to 0.011" on the exhaust.
cheers
Jules
The small engines I've serviced. I've had to pull a rectangular cover from the side of the motor, which exposes the valve springs. The clearance is measured between the end of the valve stem, and the push rod. Have to turn the crank shaft so the lifting pressure is released. As the engine warms up, the valve stems lengthen due to temperature. So, there needs to be a gap, to compensate for the lengthening.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus