DE vs sand pool filters

Can anyone recommend/comment on the Hayward pool filters. Am I better off buying a DE filter or a sand filter. How about the ongoing maintenance costs? Appreciate any advice.
jestruch wrote:

DE filters do a 'finer' job of removing particulates. I've had both - the DE filter requires a little more maintenance since you have to flush and replace the DE from time to time, more frequently than you have to replace the sand filter contents. But I like the way my water looks with the DE filter.

Normally DE cartidges will last for years if not overpressured. Did you know that you aren't supposed to run water through the cartridges without DE in them?
On 23 Aug 2004 04:33:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (jestruch) wrote:

DE used to a better filtering job than sand. However, there is a sandtype called zeolite which filters just as good as DE and gives you the other benefits of sand (no more adding of DE). I just installed a hayward 30 inch sand filter and filled it with zeolite sand. It filters very very good. The water is crystal clear. Call around at your local poolshops for prices, I think a sandfilter filled with zeolite is the way to go.

The same stuff as they use in a water softener?
On 25 Aug 2004 02:39:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

I'm not sure what is used in a water softener besides salt. I do know it works very well in the pool filter.