de-stinking a car interior

Page 3 of 4
Clot wrote:

Not absolutely, and that is my game plan for tomorrow, if it gets above 50 degrees- coin-op car wash the removable mats, and get a large spray can of the vacuum-out shampoo for the non-removable carpet. If that seems to help, take the car to a detail shop and get the interior steamed, or whatever.
Old cop cars and old pickup trucks had it right- anything other than a rubber floor in a work vehicle is a mistake...
-- aem sends...

Little buggers used to love to die inside the seat upholstery too. Never forget my 28 Chevy - had a nest of dead RATS behind the seat when I got it.

I bet if you used a dog, it may locate the odor. "Willow", a chocolate Lab visited our house recently. She dug up some of my dog's toys - buried rib bones and raw hides
Watch the dog when in the van and observe where she may focus and smell.
Baking Soda on the carpet, a sitting bowl of vinegar will also take out some orders.
Oren wrote:

We had a bird fall down our chimney last evening, thankfully before it was too dark for my aged eyes to cope. Oh blanketty blank, thought I. I've been here before several times. I got all the kit together to remove the gas fire and the blanking board around the chimney. Flutter, flutter as I was trying to help the poor beastie escape.
Here on the Right Side of The Pond there is now some doubt as to whether I should have legally disconnected the gas pipe prior to lifting the fire off the wall ( but blow that, I shall). I was about to remove the sealed backing plate (which would have caused serious hassle in reinstallation, when the bird flew out through the small ventillation gap and went directly out of the previously opened patio door. No mess or crap in the house! Success.
Job done, fire reinstalled and gas reconnected.
Our wolf was then allowed into the room and immediately focussed upon the fire and knew there were odd issues that he should resolve. I smiled watching him in puzzlement.

I wouldn't waste my time cleaning things until I found where the smell was coming from. Airing it out that someone said is agood idea. If you can't find any smell after that, put your nose really close to things, a half or a hundredth of an inch, and also come back in 10 minutes, 20, 30 until you do start to smell it and then follow the smell to the source.
They did some game somewhere where they had people acting like dogs and tracking down chocolate syrump or soemthing on the ground, invisible, and they quite good at it. Following a trail, left here, right there. Just random people. You can do it too.
mm wrote:

Easy for a non-allergy-sufferer to say! :^/
My sinuses have been acting up for a month, so it is a damn miracle I noticed the stink at all.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers posted for all of us...

Did you have the AC on? It could be mold/fungus in it.

Mold and fungus don't smell like "something died".
Doug Miller posted for all of us...

Explain to me the smell of something dead. What does mold and fungus smell like? Explain in detail.
Explain to me the color red.
So if we are not there my guess is as good as yours.

Easy to demonstrate: put a piece of raw meat in a closed container (so it won't dry out), and leave it at room temperature for a couple of weeks. Then give it a sniff.

Easy to demonstrate: turn over a rotting log.

Irrelevant.
No, not really. Dead animals, and molds/fungi, have distinctly different odors. The impossibility of *explaining* the difference in no way alters the *fact* of the difference.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

A bit like trying to explain how sex feels, no?
An easy (very easy) test. Even easier now with summer coming: Next time you come across a dead raccoon, skunk (well, maybe not a skunk), woodchuck or other larger mammalian roadkill that's been lying there in the sun for more than a week, park your car, get out, and just, well, stand downwind and fill your nostrils with that delectable aroma for a while. Ever had a mouse die inside your walls after you laid out poison? Similar smell.
Now, after all that, try and tell anybody that the odor you just experienced is in any way comparable to fungus or mold.
For a "power level" experience of the same "dead body" smell, get a good whiff of aged dead deer at high-summer. A deer is about the weight of a man. That kind of meaty mass makes a majorly vomitous stink as it decomposes. What did Dresden smell like in late May, 1945?
Rotting log? Compost? Mold? Fungus? None of those offer the same olfactory impact as dead animal.
--
Tegger

First thing to do is DRY the car's insides. You might, for example, turn the car heater all the way up and let is idle in the sun.
OR you can run an extension cord and operate an electric heater in the car (taking proper precautions against the heater setting the car on fire.
Once it's dry you can "detail" the car and vacuum it as well .
If something literally died, completely drying it out should stop the smell.

Dude, where are you reading this? On one of those Usenet-scraping websites or something? I posted the message you are replying to at least a year ago...
--
aem sends...

On 1/25/2011 6:27 PM, John Gilmer wrote:
.

If you're going to top-post, please delete your sig's "-- " sequence.
--
Tegger

On 1/25/2011 8:52 PM, Tegger wrote:

Sorry about that- I just got off a session of e-mail answering, where top-post IS the norm, and my fingers forgot to switch back.
--
aem sends...

Yeah, email is top-post only. I get a lot of business email, and not one single person bottom-posts OR intersperses. I've often wondered why Microsoft email products make interspersing so damnably difficult.
--
Tegger

On 01/25/2011 09:09 PM, Tegger wrote:

you could have just said "I've often wondered why Microsoft products are so damnably difficult."
I love how every new version of Office seems to have a completely different menu/button structure for the various programs... same is true for AutoCAD which isn't even a Microsoft product, but at least the good old command line still works the same in AutoCAD (mostly... the text editing is still more cumbersome than I remember...)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

One of our suppliers' employees is getting an intermittent bounce when attempting to send to one of our employees. The bounce message doesn't give any information other than, basically "username does not exist". It does not say which server is reporting that error, which is what I want to know.
So, I investigate, and discover that supplier is using Outlook. Then I discover (online) that Outlook REMOVES headers from messages when it stores the messages! The guy I'm dealing with is clueless with computers, and his IT department is unresponsive. I have to go there tomorrow anyway, and the guy is willing to let me futz around on his computer until I find what I want.
Why does Outlook do this?
--
Tegger

On 01/25/2011 09:49 PM, Tegger wrote:

Probably for the same reason it defaults to top posting and HTML.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Because they feel the user shouldn't be bothered by niggling little details. The headers are unsightly, and PC users should not be exposed to them. The average PC user might be panicked by the sight of a mail header. We'd have stampedes in every office in America.
Cindy Hamilton