de-stinking a car interior

Page 2 of 4

I saw an air filter that had a animal nest in it, Ive had squirrels under my hood, find what stinks or it maybe many many months for it to go away, what does it smell like.

Many years ago a newly sold Chrysler/Dodge car was found to have the egg lunch sandwiches of a production line worker left in a door!
The local dealer pretty well took the car interior apart before they were found at the bottom of a door below the window mechanism.
But the worst car smell in recent was when we turned around on the highway and went back to look at a pickup 'featured' at an auto dealer's location at a very good price.
Mileage was reasonable, external condition very good. But when we opened the door the smell was awful and obvious; the previous owner/ driver had been a chain smoker!
Even the headline looked stained and would have to be replaced! The door liners, seats, everything inside, stunk. Heard afterwards, since this is not that big a community, that the owner had died of lung cancer in his late 40s or early 50s; .............. not surprised. In fact that he lived THAT long!
Here, the cost to a single 20 pack/day smoker is now equivalent to a car payment. Or one could be driving a BMW or Mercedes instead of a Chev. So smoking makes no sense.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 06:26:30 -0700 (PDT), stan

When house hunting, car shopping, (or even a Friday night hot date) I quietly skip over those having a tobacco odor. No sense saying why, as this can offend some.
Could be mold also. Some molds will give off really bad odors. If you left a window open in the rain, you could have it in your carpet. Use vinegar or backing soda in your wash water. (Do not use both - they tend to go boom when put together. And do not use Bleach or ammonia with either of them, so read your labels.)
--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

I bought a '65 Rambler Classic back in 1972 - the chrome on the dash looked like brass and the headliner was brown. It also had tinted windows. (It was cheap - bought it for $100). A gallon of "FANTASTIC" later the headliner was white, the chrome was silver, the seats and carpets didn't stink any more, and even the windows were clean. Gotta be REAL carefull with Fantastic on glass though!!!!!
I remeber laying the fiber headliner out on the driveway, soaking it with Fantastic, and hosing it down with the garden hose about 4 times, with coffee-coloured water flowing down the driveway.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

just think what the previous owners lungs were like....or their teeth. ECCCH!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I think he was dead when I bought the car.
stan wrote: > Here, the cost to a single 20 pack/day smoker is now equivalent to a

400 cigarettes a day does seem excessive.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
on 3/19/2009 11:25 PM (ET) aemeijers wrote the following:

the engine air filter for dead chipmunks, if you don't have a cold air type filter. They like to build nests in there. The one in my air cleaner chewed up the paper filter to build a nest and left a bunch of acorn shells in there. Make sure there are no dead wet leaves and debris in the heater. Also check that the heater drain (which drains into the engine compartment) is not plugged with debris. Mine was clogged so badly one time that water had filled the heater blower compartment and leaked onto the carpet.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If it is in fact a dead critter, nothing but removal of the little rodent corpse will de-stinkify it. Had a similar issue in my parents' basement once upon a time... otherwise you'll have to wait for it to completely decompose, which could take months.
nate

Check behind the dash, in the ducts as well.
Boy this reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry's car got some BO and he couldn't get it out. He wound up giving the car away after he couldn't sell it.
Good luck!
snip>

Check behind the dash, in the ducts as well.
Boy this reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry's car got some BO and he couldn't get it out. He wound up giving the car away after he couldn't sell it.
Yeah, the valet. That was a funny one.

Remove panels, carpeting, etc. You may find the culprit. Clean the carpeting, ductwork, etc and reinstall.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 03:25:25 +0000, aemeijers wrote:

Willshak and ransley had some good comments, add one: the heater blower cage. They like to make nests in there, too.
You may have to start removing panels, unless you can find the 'snack' one of the kids left somewhere! ;)

You likely have a dead mouse in the heating ductwork or blower. Used to be a common problem in our shop when the sports car owners brought their toys out of storage in the spring. Datsun 240/260Z's were the worst, Triumph's right behind. Keep looking and good luck.
Joe
Joe wrote:

But the air coming out of the ducts doesn't stink! That is what has me confused. I only suspected ducts because there are floor ducts that come out under the front seats. I think more likely the damn thing crawled down one of the various slits where the hardpoints come through the carpet, and got wedged in.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I've not followed this from the start. Are you certain that you did not carry something into the vehicle on your feet during the freezing period?