de-stinking a car interior

Could be mold also. Some molds will give off really bad odors. If you left a window open in the rain, you could have it in your carpet. Use vinegar or backing soda in your wash water. (Do not use both - they tend to go boom when put together. And do not use Bleach or ammonia with either of them, so read your labels.)

Reply to
Dymphna

Use a mild H2O2 (Hydrogen peroxide) solution on the rugs, and try an ozone-ator overnight. A simple hot water or steem cleaner GENERALLY cannot sterilize the carpet and underpad - where a lot of smells originate.

My brother bought a Sable wagon. The owner had loaded it with garbage to go to the dump, then died. Car sat for several months. IT STUNK!!!!!!.

He bought it cheap enough that he couldn't loose, even breaking it down for parts. Only had a few thousand KM on it, so he cleaned it up. It had the ozone in it about 4 times - doesn't smell bad now at all -

2 years later.
Reply to
clare

The coil cleaner I use on AC coils does a nice job on smokers film. Cleaning window unit coils and such, it really takes the brown film off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's a VAN- no trunk. No smell under hood, or under dash, or from dash vents. It could be an old winter spill, since The Thaw only came a few days ago around here, but I don't eat in the car, and I haul the grocery bags in plastic busboy tubs, just to prevent things falling out and rolling away. (BTDT)

Stopped on way home from work today, and bought another jug of extra-strength Febreze, and dosed it all again, and it seems to be helping some. Van is sitting in sunlight with windows down right now- have to remember to put it away come dark so nothing else climbs in.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

You're too late- StepfanKing already claimed the 'dumb comments' duty for this thread.

Reply to
aemeijers

Here's my guess;

If it's a vehicle that you may not drive every day, and maybe even if you do. We're coming off of winter, the mouse colony that took up residence in the heater box froze to death one very cold night. Now that it's warming up out, they are starting to rot. Also, they piss in their nests, and it makes for some horrendous stinking when you are trying to get warm from that heater. If this is the case, you'll need to pull the heater duct hoses loose so you can see in the heater box to get the nest out. You may also need to pull the blower loose in the engine compartment side, because the whole mess may be on that side of the heater core. Once you remove the nest, wash out the box with just about anything and the smell will quickly begin to fade, as long as you got it all. You know, mice simply love jute, which is found on the backside of most vehicle carpets, and even vinyl floor mats. It makes excellent nesting material.

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

"m6onz5a" wrote

snip>

Check behind the dash, in the ducts as well.

Boy this reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry's car got some BO and he couldn't get it out. He wound up giving the car away after he couldn't sell it.

Yeah, the valet. That was a funny one.

Reply to
Lefty

You likely have a dead mouse in the heating ductwork or blower. Used to be a common problem in our shop when the sports car owners brought their toys out of storage in the spring. Datsun 240/260Z's were the worst, Triumph's right behind. Keep looking and good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I bet if you used a dog, it may locate the odor. "Willow", a chocolate Lab visited our house recently. She dug up some of my dog's toys - buried rib bones and raw hides

Watch the dog when in the van and observe where she may focus and smell.

Baking Soda on the carpet, a sitting bowl of vinegar will also take out some orders.

Reply to
Oren

We had a bird fall down our chimney last evening, thankfully before it was too dark for my aged eyes to cope. Oh blanketty blank, thought I. I've been here before several times. I got all the kit together to remove the gas fire and the blanking board around the chimney. Flutter, flutter as I was trying to help the poor beastie escape.

Here on the Right Side of The Pond there is now some doubt as to whether I should have legally disconnected the gas pipe prior to lifting the fire off the wall ( but blow that, I shall). I was about to remove the sealed backing plate (which would have caused serious hassle in reinstallation, when the bird flew out through the small ventillation gap and went directly out of the previously opened patio door. No mess or crap in the house! Success.

Job done, fire reinstalled and gas reconnected.

Our wolf was then allowed into the room and immediately focussed upon the fire and knew there were odd issues that he should resolve. I smiled watching him in puzzlement.

Reply to
Clot

I tell em, and let em be offended.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wouldn't waste my time cleaning things until I found where the smell was coming from. Airing it out that someone said is agood idea. If you can't find any smell after that, put your nose really close to things, a half or a hundredth of an inch, and also come back in 10 minutes, 20, 30 until you do start to smell it and then follow the smell to the source.

They did some game somewhere where they had people acting like dogs and tracking down chocolate syrump or soemthing on the ground, invisible, and they quite good at it. Following a trail, left here, right there. Just random people. You can do it too.

Reply to
mm

But the air coming out of the ducts doesn't stink! That is what has me confused. I only suspected ducts because there are floor ducts that come out under the front seats. I think more likely the damn thing crawled down one of the various slits where the hardpoints come through the carpet, and got wedged in.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Easy for a non-allergy-sufferer to say! :^/

My sinuses have been acting up for a month, so it is a damn miracle I noticed the stink at all.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I've not followed this from the start. Are you certain that you did not carry something into the vehicle on your feet during the freezing period?

Reply to
Clot

Not absolutely, and that is my game plan for tomorrow, if it gets above

50 degrees- coin-op car wash the removable mats, and get a large spray can of the vacuum-out shampoo for the non-removable carpet. If that seems to help, take the car to a detail shop and get the interior steamed, or whatever.

Old cop cars and old pickup trucks had it right- anything other than a rubber floor in a work vehicle is a mistake...

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

stan wrote: > Here, the cost to a single 20 pack/day smoker is now equivalent to a

400 cigarettes a day does seem excessive.
Reply to
AMuzi

I had a mouse climb into my 6 month old Corvette during winter storage and die, leaving an incredible odor in the Spring when I came to take the car out of storage.

I ultimately found only 1 way to get rid of the odor based on an excellent recommendation here on this newsgroup. The solution was to find an enzymatic odor eliminator used for carpet cleaning, made by a company I believe was called "Rug Doctor". It is an odorless, clear liquid sold alongside rug shampoo machines to remove pet odors, etc. It is sold in small reddish-orange bottles, as are the other carpet chemicals from the same company (stain remover, shampoo).

It took 3 applications, but the odor is now entirely gone. My earlier attempts with Fabreeze and other fragrances made the problem much worse and should never have been used.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

I'll look for it, but I will note that the Febreeze I used was the unscented kind. It isn't just perfume. The stuff in it supposedly hooks on to the stinky compounds, and chemically changes them to non-stinky. Leastways, according to their web site. And it has helped a lot already.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I bought a '65 Rambler Classic back in 1972 - the chrome on the dash looked like brass and the headliner was brown. It also had tinted windows. (It was cheap - bought it for $100). A gallon of "FANTASTIC" later the headliner was white, the chrome was silver, the seats and carpets didn't stink any more, and even the windows were clean. Gotta be REAL carefull with Fantastic on glass though!!!!!

I remeber laying the fiber headliner out on the driveway, soaking it with Fantastic, and hosing it down with the garden hose about 4 times, with coffee-coloured water flowing down the driveway.

Reply to
clare