Daylight savings time ends Sunday Nov 2

Page 2 of 2
On 11/04/2014 10:50 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
[snip]

These help a lot. There's still a lot they don't do.
For one thing, they depend on having the correct timezone set. This requires reading the PHP database. One of the main reasons is to help a user select a timezone (I display this info at http://notstupid.us/dtc_help.php/timezones ).
One thing I want to do is determine the amount of time between now and some future event.
Subtracting the current time from the future time returns the correct number of seconds, but I want it in days. I can divide this number by 86400 (the number of seconds in 24 hours). This is SOMETIMES right.
The first thing I did was calculate the days until Thanksgiving. The result for today is correct. When I did it on Halloween, the result was 1 hour off. The cause of this mess is (of course) DST. One day (this year in the US it was Nov 2) has 25 hours it in. Another day in the Spring will have 23 hours (the number of hours per day can be found by subtracting 00:00:00 today from 00:00:00 tomorrow and dividing by 3600).
So I need to correct for that. If the current DST state is different from the future DST state, the time will need to be adjusted by the DST offset.
DST offset is usually 0 (no DST) or 3600 (1 hour), although there can be exceptions. Currently the only exception seems to be 1800 for Lord Howe Island.
--
50 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 10/30/2014 1:41 PM, Todd wrote:

Not stupid at all. I checked my account balance and the daylight I've saved so far will give me an extra two hours of daylight every day when I retire. Go ahead, sit in the dark, but I won't be.I sved my daylight.
On 10/30/2014 9:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You didn't hear? Obama says the brightest didn't pay their fair share. Now, there is a 40% tax for early withdraw of daylight. There are a whole list of conditions for withdraw, including using it for solar panels, or solar heating. And has to be used outdoors. Much of the daylight saving is quietly being seized by the Fed. Best to call your congressman, by candle light.
On 10/30/14, 1:41 PM, Todd wrote:

As the old gal down the street keeps saying, "I wish they would quit messing around with this time change thing, my roses need all the sunlight they can get" !
On 10/30/2014 10:43 PM, Retired wrote:

Old expression quoting an old American Indian:
"Only white man think cut foot off end of blanket and sew on other end make blanket longer."
On 10/31/2014 07:43 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

That's the story I heard in school. I think of it when thinking of DST.
Some effects of DST:
1. You have an excuse to set your clocks right, twice a year.
2. The main reason there are hundreds of time zones in the world, instead of 25.
3. Some days have 23 or 25 hours.
4. Animals get confused when they expect to be fed at a certain time.
5. There's no 1:30 AM one day, and TWO 1:30 AM another.
6. You think you're doing something at the same time every day, but you're not. Its just CALLED the same time.
7. You think you're getting more daylight. That makes no real sense.
[snip]
--
55 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 10/31/2014 10:21 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

But the number one reason...that trumps all other reasons...
It's for the kids!
On 10/31/2014 9:34 AM, _G_0_D_ wrote:

25? (360 degrees divided by 15 degrees equals 24)
On 11/1/2014 12:41 AM, IGot2P wrote:

And the time zones span all 57 states.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Tu3kR77NE
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/31/2014 11:41 PM, IGot2P wrote:
[snip]

It's 25 rather than 24 because the 0-degree line is in the MIDDLE of a time zone. So, on the other side of the world there are 2 half-width zones, -12 hours and +12 hours which are 24 hours apart (NOT the same time).
--
54 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Fall forward! ;O)
I thought it was Delight Savings Time. I've been banking all of my excess happiness.
Dave M.