Day&Night blower not working

I have a circa 1992 Day&Night downflow gas furnace with A/C cooler added on. Recently the blower stopped running. The A/C compressor runs, but the blower will not move the cool air. Setting the thermostat fan from AUTO to ON results in a relay clicking noise in the furnace. I checked all the house circuit breakers and furnace circuit board in-line fuses. The blower squirrel cage moves easily by hand, so it is not jammed. I checked that the over-temp limit switch is reset. I had a service person in to look and he stated that there was no voltage going to the blower. He would do a circit board replace for $420. I said give some time to decide.

Does this seem reasonable? Is this a fair price? Is there something else anyone can suggest?

Thanks

Reply to
Phil

most cent. a/c units have a box(on/off switch in the attic where the blower is located.. if it is in the off position or in some cases the oil/grease inside will melt down and insulate the contacts and you get no voltage to the a/c blower in the attic.... did the a/c guy check to see if there was voltage going to the who unit?? if not or in doubt get up there and check for yourself....

Reply to
jim

This is an A/C add-on to the Day&Night. The chiller coils are mounted just below the "down-flow" furnace in the central closet (this is California, no attic, no basement :) ). I can hear/see the A/C compressor/fan running outside. I can feel (hand on pipe) the cold working fluid enter the in-house coils below the furnace.

The furnace blower is used to circulate the chilled air throughout the house. That is what is not working.

Reply to
Phil

Sounds reasonable to me. I just replaced one the other day, fairly common problem in my book. As far as the price, it is about what I charged for the repair. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

More than likely your the problem! The AC condenser is controlled through the furnace, if the AC condenser is running, the furnace has power to it. Greg

Reply to
Greg O