Data Recovery

Someone was looking for data recovery software a while back. There is a very good program available free for one day at Glarysoft's give away site. 5-8-14 Snag it if you can now because there's no telling when it will be offered again. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Got it , because you just never know . Thanks !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

did you get a registration key? When I clicked in the program to get a registration key, they wanted payment of $15 or so. I sent them an e-mail and will see if I get a reply.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Thanks, and happy 'birthday'

Reply to
RobertMacy

Just noticed in the comments after there's at least one or two indications may be contaminated download w/ a positive virus scan...

Might pay to be extra cautious...then again being a recovery app it's possible it is a false positive given the nature of the beast.

Reply to
dpb

Did you look at the readme included with that download ? There's a key there , probably one that identifies the user as one that got the free download . It also says you have to activate it before the giveaway period is over . Bet a lot of folks did like me , got it with the idea of sitting on it until I need it . Now I need to ddecide whether to go ahead and load it , anand decide if I want to do it on all my comps . Thing is , I've never needed a program of this type , and I'm not so sure there isn't a hook somewhere in there ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Alrighty kids , this program is a carrier for Win32/PolyCrpt.dropper. which installs a.. Backdoor.Win32.Swz.hb

Ensures subsequent autorun of installed files:

by writing to autorun keys in the system registry

Injects its code into the specific processes

Adds the following programs to the list of trusted applications:

Connects to specific Internet addresses

Creates unique identifiers to flag its presence in the system

I'll be deleting this file w/out installing . Y'all have been warned ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

and to think some people are opposed to the death penalty.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Are you sure this is loaded in this program? I did install it, my virus scanner was OK with it and I do not find any of the indications of it that are described on a couple security sites (nothing strange in the "run" entries of the registry etc)

Reply to
gfretwell

I got the information from the comments on the free site . I don't pretend to know much about registry stuff , but I do know I don't play around there .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I downloaded the "grtdatarecoveryv2.1.zip" file onto my business computer's C:\Download folder and then copied it to a USB memory card. I put that USB memory card into a USB slot on my web surfing computer and used the 7-Zip freeware program to unzip the installation program onto my surfing computer's desk top. I then executed the installation program and it told me I had to register the product before the free download period was over. It also gave me a twenty-something alphanumeric code, which I presumed was the registration code. It told me to register the product, so I connected to the internet and hit the "Register" button on the running program. I think I registered the program correctly. I then tried to use the GRT Data Recovery program to re-recover the files I had on a corrupted USB drive I had talked about in here earlier in the month.

The GRT Data Recovery program told me that the USB memory card I had with the corrupted FAT was a 0 Megabyte disk and it couldn't find ANY files on it at all.

I never unzipped the GRT Data Recovery Installation program in my business computer. I only downloaded the grtdatarecoveryv2.1.zip file, copied that file to another USB memory stick and used that memory stick to load the .zip file onto my surfing computer. And, everything else I did was on the surfing computer.

If this program carries a virus, is it possible that I now have a virus on my business computer? Or, would I have had to have unzipped the program and/or run the installation program on my business computer before there was any risk of getting a virus on my business computer?

Reply to
nestork

TANSTAAFL.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

This appears to be a guy who gives away a program every day to drive traffic to his site, maybe you will buy something and I also picked up a handful of tracking cookies there.

Reply to
gfretwell

REGISTRATION

----------------------------------------------------------------- In order to register please do the following

- select Register menu item from (Help) menu

- In the dialog window insert registration code into Serial number field and click Ok button

I have my registration code, but I can't find a Help menu anywhere.

Does anyone know where that Help menu is supposed to be?

The program executable doesn't have any tool bar at all.

Reply to
nestork

I am running Firefox and I have it set to delete cookies when I close the session but I still get tracking cookies now and then. I am also running "disconnect" the program Spurlock was talking about

Reply to
gfretwell

The sites I regularly use for downloading and installing give away software are Give Away Of The Day and Glarysoft's give away site. I'v had no problems with software from either site because the people who run them have a good reputation and scan for malware anything they offer. If something were wrong, they would immediately take it down and let everyone know. I have seen false positives for a virus in a lot software especially if it must get into system files in order to function. I just downloaded and installed the software which updated the version that I already have. I have other GRT software on my system and have never had a problem with it. I just did a deep scan with Avast Antivirus and IObit Malware Fighter and there was no threat detected. I do trust the the two sites I use and install their offerings on multiple computers which are running different brands of antimalware software. Glarysoft actually produces system cleaning software so I doubt they would offer anything infected with a virus. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I did it by clicking on "buy" and a "register" box popped up, then a blank field where you paste in the key.

Reply to
gfretwell

I didn't have the same experience as you had. I have a pretty well locked down system with antivirus and antimalware software. I ran a check with another antimalware/antivirus software after reading your post. The software is "Malwarebytes". When I ran it, the scan showed everything I knew was on my system such as a key-logger that I purposely installed. There were all sorts of other things that I either used like some nefarious hacking tools or stuff I already have blocked. If you're interested, I'm posting the link to their site. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The site is run by a software developer with a good reputation and scans anything they offer as a giveaway. It's not unusual for some software to get a "false positive" for a virus from some antivirus software. It's not a hacker site for cracked software which often contains a virus. I've downloaded and installed a lot of software from the site and have never gotten a virus from it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yeah, that pretty much sounds like the steps I took, too.

My problem with this software is that I KNOW that I have a corrupted USB flash memory drive and there are two trial data recovery programs that DID find the files I'd thought I'd lost. This program not only couldn't find them, it couldn't even tell that it was a 4GB USB flash memory drive. It reported to me that it was a 0 MB USB flash memory drive, whatever that means.

Reply to
nestork