Dash Cam...

Before I invest in a new toy [a real dashcam],
I thought I might [somehow] hook up my Camcorder, or Digital Camera to the dashboard, and see if I like it first, and really use it.
Any ideas how to attach one of these 2 on the dashboard?
marc
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:35:53 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Silicone caulk and drywall screws.
On 02/27/2013 01:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You forgot the duct tape and WD-40.
Jon

Just looking at some of these....
http://dx.com/p/1080p-3mp-wide-angle-car-dvr-camcorder-w-hdmi-tf-slot-2-6-tft-lcd-73630
Greg
Hot melt glue gun Super glue Pneumatic nailer Peforated galvanized strap and zip screws Acetylene torch and stick braze TIG welder

Silicone caulk and drywall screws.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/dash-cam-738782-.htm DA wrote:
21blackswan wrote:

Boy, these dash cams have become popular these days, I wonder why :)
You don't have to attach it per se, especially not if you are not even sure you'll use it. I would think one of those weighted dashboard GPS holders with "gripping" silicon bottoms would be easy enough to modify to hold a camera. Also, I believe I've seen on Instructables someone made a dash camera holder just out of a sponge, based on the same principal that with some weight on it, it would grip the dash enough to prevent the camera from sliding.
Not a perfect solution of course but far better than trying to patch any holes in the dash left by a permanent holder.
--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
DA wrote the following on 2/27/2013 6:44 PM (ET):

They seem to be very popular in Russia. If you watch any of the dashcam accident videos on YouTube,you'll find they are from Russia, and a lot of the cameras taking the videos are also Russian made. I don't know why, but maybe the Insurance companies or police in Russia like to have proof to determine who was at fault. I was thinking of getting one, but most of my travels are on rural roads. I have only seen one accident happen while driving and that was decades ago (before 1975).

you'll use it. I would think one of those weighted dashboard GPS holders with "gripping" silicon bottoms would be easy enough to modify to hold a camera. Also, I believe I've seen on Instructables someone made a dash camera holder just out of a sponge, based on the same principal that with some weight on it, it would grip the dash enough to prevent the camera from sliding.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
They seem to be very popular in Russia. If you watch any of the dashcam accident videos on YouTube,you'll find they are from Russia, and a lot of the cameras taking the videos are also Russian made. I don't know why, but maybe the Insurance companies or police in Russia like to have proof to determine who was at fault. I was thinking of getting one, but most of my travels are on rural roads. I have only seen one accident happen while driving and that was decades ago (before 1975).
Evidently, Russia is [or was] going through rampant Insurance [auto accident] Fraud. So, dashcams became very prevalent in Russia.
my thoughts are similar: 1. if I see I'm about to be in an accident, I simply turn my dashcam on...! 2. if I see a meteor, or asteroid entering the atmosphere, I simply turn my dashcam on...! see how ingenious that is?
marc
On Thursday 28 February 2013 18:38 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

I'm not sure if you're being tongue in cheek :-o
But if not: they run on a loop and the fancy ones stamp GPS coordinates and timestamps on the video and the really fancy ones do extra stuff if they detect a bump.

If it doesn't move, and it needs to move. Apply WD-40. If it moves, and shouldn't, apply duct tape.
Before I invest in a new toy [a real dashcam],
I thought I might [somehow] hook up my Camcorder, or Digital Camera to the dashboard, and see if I like it first, and really use it.
Any ideas how to attach one of these 2 on the dashboard?
marc

Try Ram Mounts http://www.rammount.com/ , the best in the mounting business. There are a wide variety of mounting systems and configurations with a creative mind. They have attachments for cameras screw mount (1/4 - 20 thread) along with other attachments based on where you want to put it. I use their mounts on my motorcycle and car for my GPS and my iPhone. I have several configuration such as suction cup (glass), rearview mirror and seat attachment. I have used the video in my iPhone while driving and it works great.
For the most part, once you have a basic configuration, you can purchase different mounts for each device and you can use different devices on the set up. Along with using my iPhone, I have used my DSLR and regular video camera using the screw mount. I due surveillance work and I need a variety of mounts.
thanks all,
Instuctables.com looks like a good start
some Velcro, somehow maybe
marc

Your link (that I modified above, rather than pass it on) caused my antivirus program to detect a virus threat.
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:42:23 PM UTC-8, TomR wrote:

sorry,
it wasn't supposed to be a Link - which I Misspelled!
marc
On 02/27/2013 04:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/
On Wednesday 27 February 2013 21:41 Oren wrote in alt.home.repair:

Small bean bag (photograpgers type)?