Dash Cam...

Before I invest in a new toy [a real dashcam],

I thought I might [somehow] hook up my Camcorder, or Digital Camera to the dashboard, and see if I like it first, and really use it.

Any ideas how to attach one of these 2 on the dashboard?

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Silicone caulk and drywall screws.

Reply to
dennisgauge

You forgot the duct tape and WD-40.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken
21blackswan wrote:

Boy, these dash cams have become popular these days, I wonder why :)

You don't have to attach it per se, especially not if you are not even sure you'll use it. I would think one of those weighted dashboard GPS holders with "gripping" silicon bottoms would be easy enough to modify to hold a camera. Also, I believe I've seen on Instructables someone made a dash camera holder just out of a sponge, based on the same principal that with some weight on it, it would grip the dash enough to prevent the camera from sliding.

Not a perfect solution of course but far better than trying to patch any holes in the dash left by a permanent holder.

Reply to
DA

If it doesn't move, and it needs to move. Apply WD-40. If it moves, and shouldn't, apply duct tape.

.

I thought I might [somehow] hook up my Camcorder, or Digital Camera to the dashboard, and see if I like it first, and really use it.

Any ideas how to attach one of these 2 on the dashboard?

marc

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hot melt glue gun Super glue Pneumatic nailer Peforated galvanized strap and zip screws Acetylene torch and stick braze TIG welder

.

Silicone caulk and drywall screws.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Try Ram Mounts

, the best in the mounting business. There are a wide variety of mounting systems and configurations with a creative mind. They have attachments for cameras screw mount (1/4 -

20 thread) along with other attachments based on where you want to put it. I use their mounts on my motorcycle and car for my GPS and my iPhone. I have several configuration such as suction cup (glass), rearview mirror and seat attachment. I have used the video in my iPhone while driving and it works great.

For the most part, once you have a basic configuration, you can purchase different mounts for each device and you can use different devices on the set up. Along with using my iPhone, I have used my DSLR and regular video camera using the screw mount. I due surveillance work and I need a variety of mounts.

Reply to
Meanie

thanks all,

Instuctables.com looks like a good start

some Velcro, somehow maybe

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Your link (that I modified above, rather than pass it on) caused my antivirus program to detect a virus threat.

Reply to
TomR

sorry,

it wasn't supposed to be a Link - which I Misspelled!

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Pthirus Pubis

Just looking at some of these....

Greg

Reply to
gregz

On Wednesday 27 February 2013 21:41 Oren wrote in alt.home.repair:

Small bean bag (photograpgers type)?

Reply to
Tim Watts

DA wrote the following on 2/27/2013 6:44 PM (ET):

They seem to be very popular in Russia. If you watch any of the dashcam accident videos on YouTube,you'll find they are from Russia, and a lot of the cameras taking the videos are also Russian made. I don't know why, but maybe the Insurance companies or police in Russia like to have proof to determine who was at fault. I was thinking of getting one, but most of my travels are on rural roads. I have only seen one accident happen while driving and that was decades ago (before 1975).

you'll use it. I would think one of those weighted dashboard GPS holders with "gripping" silicon bottoms would be easy enough to modify to hold a camera. Also, I believe I've seen on Instructables someone made a dash camera holder just out of a sponge, based on the same principal that with some weight on it, it would grip the dash enough to prevent the camera from sliding.

in the dash left by a permanent holder.

Reply to
willshak

Ruskie cops tend to corruption. Dashcams are cheaper than Russian moving violations, I guess.

.

They seem to be very popular in Russia. If you watch any of the dashcam accident videos on YouTube,you'll find they are from Russia, and a lot of the cameras taking the videos are also Russian made. I don't know why, but maybe the Insurance companies or police in Russia like to have proof to determine who was at fault. I was thinking of getting one, but most of my travels are on rural roads. I have only seen one accident happen while driving and that was decades ago (before 1975).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Evidently, Russia is [or was] going through rampant Insurance [auto accident] Fraud. So, dashcams became very prevalent in Russia.

my thoughts are similar:

  1. if I see I'm about to be in an accident, I simply turn my dashcam on...!
  2. if I see a meteor, or asteroid entering the atmosphere, I simply turn my dashcam on...! see how ingenious that is?

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

On Thursday 28 February 2013 18:38 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

I'm not sure if you're being tongue in cheek :-o

But if not: they run on a loop and the fancy ones stamp GPS coordinates and timestamps on the video and the really fancy ones do extra stuff if they detect a bump.

Reply to
Tim Watts