Darkening wood

My new fish tank stand and hood finally arrived from China after a 3 month wait, and although they're beautifully finished, the color is a few shades lighter than I really wanted. I don't know what kind of wood it's made of - some Oriental hardwood I suppose - the color is called Natural Cherry and it looks like a Minwax finish to me. Is there any way to darken the color without refinishing - hopefully something I could wipe or brush over the existing finish?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JustDave

Reply to
news-server.cfl.rr.com

Most wood will darken with age. Be sure it get some sunlight so the UV can do it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Toller

I'd live with it but if you're heart is set on changing the color, you should find out what the current finish is that's on it to know what to do next. Essentially you should probably determine if it's lacquer, varnish, shellac, or oil. From there, it's pretty easy to suggest a way to darken.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

You could scuff sand it a bit and apply a coat of varnish stain

Reply to
beecrofter

try tung oil to darken the wood. or sand it with 180 grit paper dampen the wood to raise the grain and re-stain with same color. Natural cherry will never be uniform color no matter what you do unless it is premium cherry.

| > Thanks in advance for any suggestions. | >

| > JustDave | | You could scuff sand it a bit and apply a coat of varnish stain |

Reply to
3rd Generation