Dark Specks on Dishes after Running Dishwasher

A friend of mine who knows I am good with google groups asked me to see if I could get help for his problem. He sometimes gets little dark specks on his plates after running the dishwasher, and they are such that they actually smear on the plates if you try to flick them off. What's weird is that it's the second dishwasher this has been happening to him with. In his old apartment, the same thing would somehow happen, and now in the house he bought a couple of years ago it is happening again. He uses powder detergent. I thought maybe he is putting something in there that is corroding (like a rubber spatula) or a burn frying pan but he said no. ANy thoughts?
If the vacuum break or high loop is not installed in the dishwasher drain line, dirty water and debris could be drawn back through the drain line into the dishwasher.

"Jeffy3" wrote

=Had the same problem on my Bosch. Repairman said it was deteriorating gaskets/hoses from using too much detergent. I reduced the amt I use and problem has ceased. FWIW: Repairman also told me not to use gel detergents as they are also hard on the hoses/gaskets.

These are both hard to believe. How much more detergent were you using than the right amount? 1/2 extra? Twice? 10 times?
If too much would damage them, I would think the right amount would too.
"mm" wrote "Gini" wrote:

=I'll pass that on to the repair guy if I see him again. =How much more detergent were you

=Nope. I filled the cup rather than go by the marked lines. =>

=Why?