Dap kitchen and bath caulk still tacky?

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I let caulk dry for 2 weeks.

Huge beads of silicone will often shrink and cause gaps. This is a drawback to silicone.
That said, it should be dry by now. I have had brand new tubes of kitchen and bath caulk (non-silicone) that would never set, not even two weeks later.
JK

If it is an old tube it may not cure, look for an expiration date

You have it backwards...the one thing silicones do better is minimal shrinkage on cure. Easily confirmed by checking manufacturers' specifications. The OP's problem is that the air was too dry to promote cure which requires moisture.
Joe
alt.home.repair:

Don't poke it. The "three hours" thing is only for the surface of the caulk. It won't cure all the way through for a few days. A thin glaze of cured caulk on the top is good enough to protect what's underneath from water as long as you don't get vigorous. Curing time also depends on temperature and humidity.
Did you clean well with scrapers, scrubbers, detergent, and some type of solvent first? Did you get all the solvent off? A contaminant might mess up the chemistry of the caulk, slowing or stopping the cure process. I recommend denatured alcohol as a cleaner. It evaporates completely in a few minutes.
I tell my clients to wait a minimum of 24 hours before using the shower. It's safer. No one has called me back yet to complain.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Steve wrote:

I did clean well, remove all old caulk (scraped surfaces with razor blades,) scrub with hot water and dish soap, dry with heat gun, and final wipe down with Windex before applying.
I couldn't find an expiration date on the tube; I did think to look for it before I threw it out this AM.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Red/White tube? Kind of runny viscosity? Yuck!
Oren wrote:

no, gold tube... "adhesive caulk" with antibacterials (SWMBO insisted on this, she has a pathological fear of mold.) I haven't used Dap products in a long time, is why I posted.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Same stuff I used. Works really well but you have to let it dry thoroughly. That's why I waited 2 weeks. But I have a 2nd bath.
3 hours? I don't think so. Even on a dry day. Maybe if you have a heat lamp you could get it done in 12. Be sure the caulk is fresh. I've made that mistake too.
Jim
DAP makes second rate caulks. I used their "lifetime" guarantee silicone caulk on a shower, and mildew stains developed in two months. The texture of the caulk also became uneven. Try some GE caulk the next time.
Nate Nagel wrote:

Does it still smell like vinegar? If so, it is curing.
--

dadiOH