Dangerous equipment in breaker panel

Over the years I've found all manner of nasty conditions in breaker panels. This was a new one for me!!!
http://www.liutaiomottola.com/CabanaPanel1.jpg
http://www.liutaiomottola.com/CabanaPanel2.jpg
RBM wrote:

Now I know why you should not leave those knock-outs open. :-)
I guess she liked the nice warm nest.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 18:13:46 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

What's the problem. He wasn't a rattler.

RBM wrote:

I'm amazed that snake didn't manage to fry itself. Maybe snakeskin is an insulator. <G>
Was that panel powered when you found the critter?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
It' pretty amazing, but the main connections are fairly covered by plastic and there was enough space behind the breakers that this three foot long gray rat snake could actually hide completely. All that "stuff" that you see in the panel are remains. When I finally coax him out he climbed straight up the wall and was heading for the rafters above so I had to loose my camera as I needed both hands to grab him and guide him out the door.

RBM wrote:

Why would you want to do that. Those were mice you did not need worry about.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
RBM wrote:

My dad and I once found a mouse nest in a box in the pumphouse for the well at a Boy Scout camp. We never figured out how mommy and the babies did not get fried by the 220 volt buses.
It's pretty common to find mice nests, mice, bees, that sort of thing in barn and out building panels. This is just one enterprising snake taking advantage of that

John_B wrote:

My fix for no water was to remove the remains of a mouse that did fry himself and replace the fuse. Was not a pretty sight nor and easy job.
Harry K
I once found a petrified mouse in the connection box for an AC unit. His tail was touching the power screw and he was stopped dead in his tracks.
John_B wrote:

John_B (John snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com) said...

An electrical inspector once told me of an installation in a barn where a small section of Romex a couple of inches long had a section where ALL the insulation had "dissappeared" -- the outer jacket AND the insulation on the hot an neutral conductors.
The spacing between the conductors had been maintained, so no short had occurred, but he marvelled over how there was no sign of any mouse carcuses near by.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
Gives new meaning to the phrase " snaking wires".