DANGER: RADON

Page 2 of 2

Gideon wrote:

    Microsoft owns part of Apple...
snipped-for-privacy@AmericaOffline.com wrote:

    I must believe in the Tooth Fairy because a cousin and his wife both died of lung cancer -- judged to be due to radon in their home. Rural North Dakota farmers who didn't smoke.

The idea of a Tooth Fairy gives me the willies. I couldn't handle the thought of a big faggy tooth coming in my room at night while I was asleep...
In alt.hvac on Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:38:06 -0500 snipped-for-privacy@AmericaOffline.com posted:

There is no such thing as neon either. In those things they call neon lights, they use barbecue sauce.
And no such thing as helium. They just fill those balloons with "light air".
Check out the periodic table of elements, and the inert gases.

The important point is that radon is a danger to you or your pets only if you breath it. If you are breathing it, then your risk level is dependent upon the radon level in the air that you are breathing and the length of time that you are exposed.
Pets, especially cats, are often at the greatest risk since in some homes they spend a lot of time at ground level in the basement. A person who spends much of the day in a basement home office and a lot of free time watching his large screen basement TV may also be at relatively great risk.
Radon is 9 times heavier than air and it tends to stay low in the basement. Basement venting can greatly reduce radon levels. Negative pressures in the house greatly increase radon infiltration into the basement and subsequent radon movement up to the living areas. Exhaust fans are obvious culprits. Air movement such as that created by the furnace blower fan also increases the spread of radon through the house. Cracks in basement foundations, cracks in basement floors and openings such as sump pump pits all increase infiltration.
Better than guessing, buy an inexpensive radon test kit, use it correctly in your basement, and then send it to the lab. If the test results indicate high radon levels, then buy a couple more test kits and test your living areas. I have a friend whose basement tested at 37 microcuries - a level considered rather dangerous. But the upper levels of the house have acceptable levels of radon and the family is relatively unconcerned since the basement is just a place to house the furnace, water heater, washer, dryer and a lot of junk.
They feel secure with just simple steps such as cracking open a window when an exhaust fan is running, opening basement windows on occasion for some basement cross ventilation, opening living area windows briefly once in a while during the winter, etc.
Like cigarette smoking, radon can be very dangerous and can present a greatly increased RISK of cancer. Like second-hand smoke, radon dangers can be greatly exaggerated.
Gideon
    And if there is no basement?
Gideon wrote:

Buy a better house?
================= Vicki Szaszvari wrote in message ... And if there is no basement?
    Haha! We have lots that are big enough here that we don't need to make them more than one story.
Gideon wrote:

Yes it is IMPORTANT to make sur there are no open RETURN ducts in your basement. These will casue negative pressure in the basment that can pull radon in and distribute it in your home. Close off all RETURN ducts in the basment and open one output duct in the basment to pressurize the basmement a little. With the furnace blower running, stand at the door to the basement with the door open a crack, if you feel air being pulled into the basement from the upstairs, you have an open return duct and need to close it.
Mark