Damp House - I need help!

I'm struggling to find anything to help on the internet. I live in converted building, now made into 3 apartments, one on each floor. Th house was derelict for 15 years before being renovated. we moved in i march just before the birth of my baby.

The apartment is now covered in damp, in all rooms and we have blac spots of mould growing in the babies room and the bathroom. I hav spoken to the developers many times who just want to see if things wil stay the same over the winter or get worse. We have now had a few week of bad weather and I have called them in to sort it out. They are no bothered!! Their answer is to have all the windows open and let the ai circulate. It's so cold! I can;t do it with a 7 month old baby in th house.

Does anyone know what I can do? We have moved the baby into our roo again as I can feel the damp when breathing in her room so goodnes knows what it is doing to her!!!

The apartment below have got solicitors involved, so the developer have saiid they might as well not do anything if they are being take to court, How bad is that!! This is one of the UK's top developmen companies

Does anyone know what implications on our health this will have especially on the little one???

I am at the end of the line and to make things worse I work for th company that did the renovation!!!!

Thanks very muc

-- bramble

Reply to
bramble

move elsewhere.

buffalobill

Unfortunately, I agree. A dehumidifier or a few might help a little in the meantime, but there's really not much that can be done once mold gets started.

Reply to
andynewhouse

Perhaps you can move, or spray bleach on the spots. Mold can kill babies.

That might work, with some cheap electric space heaters and a few open windows. You might deduct the cost of electric heat from the rent... get a humidity meter and heat the apartment to a comfortable temperature and open windows until the relative humidity drops below 60%.

Heating 40F air at 100% RH to 70 F with no other source of moisture can reduce the RH to about 100e^(9621((1/(70+460))-1/(40+460)) = 34%.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Get a dehumidifier

Reply to
m Ransley

Frankly I would move at once. However if you like the place then contact the owners and see what they are going to do about it. If nothing or little, then move. While most molds are not harmful to most people, there are enough people who are sensitive to them and enough molds that are harmful to most people that I would not continue there like that.

It is not your responsibility in an apartment to correct a building problem. Your building owner should hire a professional mold control company to eliminate the problem using whatever means are needed to get the job done.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And, perhaps as much to the point, een if you can solve this problem on your own, you have successfully demonstrated that this company sucks. You don't want to live in one of their houses.

Reply to
Goedjn

Important Pondian difference: N.America (usually) has fairly strict commercial laws regulating landlords, making it almost illegal to rent unhealthy properties. Britain lacks these, but has more active public welfare institutions under the rubric "Health and Safety: -- also Citizen's Advice Bureaux to answer questions like this. The landlord's legal dispute with tenant A has no bearing on his obligations to tenant B: (but practical enforcement is the usual problem.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Post huge banners outside the home and silently protest on the edge of your property, sighting issues. I see the issue more as health although you have the problem compounded by the lack of concerned response.

Call the media if necessary, speak to a female! I suppose when you talked to these people they were men. Call anybody that will listen. I presume your not in a position to move or to live with the concerns you have, so one cannot be idle about it.

Check into legality of holding/escrow rent to motivate the landlord

Take the baby to a doctor and have documentation........

They can stand court action; but civil protest, especially about children and health can bring action.

Call in some markers...can you find records and see what actually took place...?

Best of luck..

oren

First, if you are a renter, it should be the landlord's responsibility. In the U.S., GENERALLY, a dangerous condition (which you have) which the landlord does not fix in a timely manner can be fixed by the renter, who can then bill the owner. Furthermore, if the landlord refuses to reimburse the renter, the tenant can then withhold rental payments until those payments equal the repair cost.

Reply to
nielloeb

Mould is everywhere, you can't escape it. One easy way to reduce interior humidity, is to remove combustion heating, use electric, dry clothes outside, install exhaust fans, and buy a dehumidifier. That should lower the humidity to where mould doesn't run out of control.

Reply to
glenn P

Bleach doesn't kill mould, only the symptoms... Borax works better.

Mould preceded man. IF MOULD "KILLED BABIES", then we would not have evolved into this rich, diverse 6 billion person place... sheesh!

Mould paranoia is rife these days, and there's only a couple (out of many, many) that can be toxic to anyone, let alone babies. Get it tested. if it's not a bad strain, try my methods as described.

Reply to
glenn P

Or, inform yourself to the chance of this place being toxically mouldy, or just mouldy like the rest of the planet....

Have you ever eaten blue cheese? Oooh, that's right it's got MOULD!!!

Reply to
glenn P

Mold kills babies. Google up some Canadian studies.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Combustion heating removes humidity from a house, unless it's unvented or it has a separate combustion air supply.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Hi, In old days babies were tougher. They grew up rolling in dirt and eating it too. Too clean some times has negative effect on our immune system. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Indeed. GOOGLE for: infant pulmonary hemosiderosis

and: mold + infant + health

Infants are far more susceptible to toxins produced by mold/fungi than adults.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Why can't I find one store that sells Borax in the state of Rhode Island!!??!!

glenn P wrote:

Reply to
jhoule

Why can't I find one store that sells Borax in the state of Rhode Island!!??!!

glenn P wrote:

Reply to
jhoule