damn that Julie Bove!

Hi Ed,

I have read that some paleos/primals will blanch locally produced produce for the winter. I am trying it this year with my zukes.

I remember buying oranges directly from the grower when I was a kid. I remember what you describe!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Tony,

Ya no fooling.

Bananas are sold wholesale in two categories: Green and Yellow Tip. The Yellow Tip ones are the only ones that have any hope of ripening.

Bought a green organic banana from Trader Joe's once just to see it it would ever ripen. It did not. Ask a matter of fact, it was so hard, it could be used as a hammer.

I have a rule, if it did not come from either the produce isle or the meat counter, it AINT food. And, sometimes, those are not food either.

Your cereal example is a good one for my rule. It would be an interesting experiment to feed one group of mice just the box and another group just the contents. Wonder who would be healthier. Hmmmmm.

If you like bananas (I can't eat them anymore -- too high carb), try an organic small red plantain. Very rich banana taste. Yellow bananas today are not the same as we ate as kids. They are a hybrid to get past some banana disease. They taste chalky. And the disease has caught up to the hybrid, so the hybrid is on its way out too. The red ones are apparently immune. Try one!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Ralph,

I wonder how they would compost? I have heard of road kill being composed.

Also heard that if you leave a dead animal to rot, it keeps his friends away, but I can not verify that.

Sounds like my wife. I put a bowl of home grown Cherry Tomatoes in front of her, turn my back, then turn back looking at the bowl and it is empty. Looking at her, she shows two emotions: guilt and absolute delight. She knows how cute she is and shows no sign of reform.

Your grandson sounds very precious. Have yo gave his a bowl and had him pick his own? He will be addicted to produce the rest of his life.

People don't eat product because it tastes like crap. My wife was never a big produce eater until I started growing it myself. Local grown is pretty good too.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Wonder what would happen if they substituted NRA and GOA stickers?

Reply to
Todd

Hi Netstork,

Maybe you should disarm the police, like they do in England.

You make a good case. Problem is that you are not looking at the statistics of lives saved versus lives lost (accidents) to legal gun ownership. It is about 20 to 1. And by the way, most of those lives saved, no shots were actually fired, just like the police you mentioned.

And I have pulled my weapon in self defense several times. So, it depends on what you call "rarely". Never fired a shot though, so no bad guy(s) had to learn the joys of being ventilated with an 850 foot per second wad cutter the size of one of his fingers.

It changes the way you think about guns in about 1 nanosecond. And yes, in that nanosecond, I found that I am more than capable of taking some ass hole's life to protect my loved ones/friends/the innocent/myself.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Stormin, You are of course correct. The point that Unquestionably is making is reality of the current situation we are facing. Until the constitution is respected, this is a good first thrust. Time for the good guys to use the "Slippery Slope" for a change.

Did you see the Dredd Scott ruling I posted? Did you see where the supremes said that if you were a real man, you'd have to right to pack anywhere you pleased?

-T

Reply to
Todd

Some of the local produce is good, but some is not so good as it is sent to the local stores to sell. Just have to find the right people selling it.

My grandson will not use a bowl for the cherry tomatoes. He will just eat them as he picks them if you don't watch him. I don't use any pesticides on them, so they should be safe to eat, but we still like to wash them off. Maybe bird poop on them.

I did find out how to cook corn on the cob so it tastes very good. Just pop the ear with shucks and all in the microwave for about 4 minuits per ear. Cut off the end opposit the silk and grab the end with the silk and squeese it out like toothpaste. Better use an oven mitt as it will be very hot. No silk and very good. Butter and season to taste.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hi Ralph,

There is something to be said for the probiotics we get from dirt. But, you have to pick the right dirt. I'd would wash off bird poop too.

Sounds yummy. I can't touch corn, way to high carbs, so I will have to live vicariously though you!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Per Stormin Mormon:

World's Largest Squirrel Shot and Killed:

(PeteCresswell)

More car burglaries, most likely.

I am an NRA Life Member but the only way you'd know is to look at my magazine stash or the sticker on my gun cleaning tool box. No window or car stickers, thank you very much.

I've carried for better than 47 years and the only people who knew I carried either saw me in uniform or was somebody who knew what I did for a living. Post retirement, I always carry and nobody other than friends and family know it.

Carry concealed, be situationally aware and chances are good that no one will ever realize you're carrying. That should be everyone's goal.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

That's a lot of Brunswick stew.

Reply to
rbowman

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Thu, 09 Oct 2014 07:53:29 -0400:

I've been busy helping one neighbor suspend a 100-foot long treehouse further and further into the redwoods ...

And, helping another cut 1,000 feet into the chaparral:

And, learning all about chainsaws as I cut up some fallen trees:

And, organizing community hikes in the mountains for the families:

As for hauling water, here's the setup the neighbor has been using for the past two months, to truck water from the hydrant to home:

Danny D.

Yes, that sounds busy. Thanks for the photos, makes it a bit more clear what you are doing.

Also, sounds like you're having more fun than most folks.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 03:41:07 -0400:

Well, my back is killing me lately!

:)

Reply to
Danny D.

Aye, Cap'n. I've had good results with ibuprofen, or Aleve. Generic Naproxyn from BJ's wholesale club was useless. Name brand Aleve is good. Different brand of ibu work, or don't work. The brand I liked, they stopped selling.

I've had a bad back since my teen year, back in the mezozoic era, before the paleolithic era, and the formation of sedimentary rock (the Noah flood thing).

I used up all the Aleve on the ark, and Noah had to stop by a pharmacy and buy more, while we were out.

As a religious believer, I do believe there are blessings of some kind for your service to your fellow man, woman, and in California some who aren't easily discerned which, if either, are they.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have you consulted a Chiropracter(sp?)?

A good one may alleviate some of the chronic and start strengthening back to 'original' But comfort is the key.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Have not. So far, I'm able to self medicate. Many people have told me kind things about chiro, there is much benefit there. Sadly, I'm in PRNY, and have less than no money.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Because they are so negated by traditional medicine their rates are still decent.

I've gone twice, both super successful solutions:

  1. 8 years old dropped on my head like a pile driver. Hurt! constant pinching. Parents took me and crunch pop all pain gone and total mobility returned.
  2. In high school, I had my arm raised for some question, then stupidly tried to peer around my raised arm to look at something. Felt the slide/shift/pain! Constant pain, couldn't move head, walked with stiff neck. Most irritating was this was last day of class and I was looking forward to being a troublemaker ;) Went to doc, slip/crunch/pop. Total mobility returned pain still there, like pulled muscle but went away next day.

One of my colleagues in electronics had such severe back problems he was scheduled for surgery on a Monday to fuse the troublesome area. With surgery looiming and many of his friends saying "What have you got to lose?" he went to a chiro on a Friday. During tht same weekend he went from bedridden pain to playing his favorite pastime [but had not been able to do for years], basketball! Of course canceled the surgery.

Then there's my brother, who I thought was raised with me but has no memory of my experienes. Had traditional family arthritis and extreme lower back pain. His normal Medical Practitioner prescribed painkillers, which he had been taking for ?? years. Always cranky and uncomfortable. That's no way to live. So, as expected, started to get worse, Doc changed pills to 'more powerful' and was ok, but kept degrading. Then during one weekend, really started to hurt, so he called his doc to be told, simply double your dose. He thought, Say what?!

Come on. If you don't change the treatment the outcome will remain the same. So he finally acquiesced to go to a chiro, with great reluctance thinking he was visiting a charlatan. After the experience he said once you got through the hype, there are some good prinicples in there. The chiro said so much time had gone by with weak muscles that after each visit, the body would slip back so come in every two weeks and we'll keep you in place. As a reault: his back pain disappeared! additionally his lifelong battle with hypoglycemia ended. Boy, was he sold.

He was so sold, he had his sons go. They did NOT want to go, but went thinking what is 'crazy' dad up to now? but went for monthly 'adjustments'

After three months, the high school football coach stopped by to ask my brother what training he had put his sons on, because they were hitting harder and running measurably faster. This is Texas football too. I don't know if my brother told him or not.

Anyway, there you have anecdotal evidence which according to the AMA has NO value.

The 'fear' story is how a chiro cripples someone. Don't worry, normal medical doctors can do that too. They did that to my father, ground off his nerves rendering him a paraplegic and ultimately die.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thanks for sharing. I've heard of a few times when western med managed to kill some one. At present, it's not bad enough to go pay someone. Perhaps when things get worse.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

you are welcome. FWIW earlier, other doctors' actions had also killed my father's father [my grandfather]

More recently, over the span of 2 years, 8 very close relatives of my wife were taken out, including her father.

Reply to
RobertMacy