Daisy-Chaining Light Bulbs: Wire?

None made any more. Not since the sixties that would be "approved"

Reply to
clare

I might still have a few pieces of NMD2 without ground lying around

- from past tear-outs

Reply to
clare

Per bud--:

No... it's just the idea... wasting that conductor.

Probably easier to physically manipulate with only 2 conductors too.

If there were two legal products on the same shelf side-by-side, I'd pick the one without the unused ground.

But I agree with the spirit of your observation.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

That's probably the best answer so far..... Only issue there is IDK if HD, etc sell Romex by the foot like they do lamp wire, etc. Might have to buy 25ft roll, but maybe they do sell it by the foot. If it's by the foot, I agree, not enough cost diff to worry about and it's not code to use lamp wire. Plus depending on if the wire is visible, if the house is sold, it's something any inspector should find and flag.

Reply to
trader4

What, specifically, is it that "that" refers to? Wiring and device cords are two completely different animals by Code; one has nothing whatever to do with the other as far as compliance rules.

You don't say how you did the installation; if you did run romex between outlets and tacked it to the ceiling joists, then think "conduit" between to make it legal or the surface-mount square tube or you could get by with a "canal" made of furring strips on either side.

But, yes, it is simply mechanical protection, not electrical/functional in the requirement. I've got places here on the farm where I haven't follow the rule because in reality the location is so high and there is no likelihood of equipment or other stuff actually ever getting in contact with it and it's never going to be an issue of needing inspection or a requiring correction for future sale or any such thing; I simply bring it up as in a residential garage while the same may be true for the height/accessibility part so it really may not be an issue from a practical standpoint, the likelihood is pretty good that at some point the inspection/sale may require rework that may as well just avoid from the git-go. Plus, overall, it's just "the thing to do" even if can get away with less.

Again by Code, the ground is to be there. I've not kept up on changes in Code for existing two-wire circuits as far as whether they're still grandfathered or not and of course it's any local jurisdiction that has actual control/say-so even if NEC does still allow it. You could, physically, run two single wires (say conduit) but in short chunks probably as costly if not more so than the Romex anyway.

Reply to
dpb
:
*It looks as though you used metal octagon boxes with the light sockets attached. The metal boxes need to be grounded. There is a 10/32 tapped hole in the back of the box for this. It also looks as though you ran the Romex through the knockouts without a connector. You could have used a button or a Romex connector.

I would have just installed a couple of 8' pans with 4' T8 lamps. Less wire on the ceiling and more even illumination. Also you would have a little bit more head room.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I've never seen someone so hung up on a "wasted" ground wire that is part of romex. I just went to HD website to see the cost difference between 14-2 Romex with grnd and 16 gauge lamp cord. They sell both by the foot. Romex is 44 cents and lamp cord is 41 cents. If you buy

25 ft to run some garage lights, why all the fuss?

And aside from the price and code compliance, proper code compliant clamps are made for securing romex to the boxes, romex can be stapled with standard, available staples, etc. I just don't see the need to wander in the wilderness.

Reply to
trader4

I figure floor or table lamp on a cord with cord on the floor is OK where people step on it. Cord on the ceiling out of reach is.... ??

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK if I plug in a bit of lamp cord, and a couple porcelean sockets?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Looks like the zipcord would be totally out of reach of children. I'd do it if it were my garage. Though, others would see the metal work boxes, and insist on grounded 14 AWG Romex. Sigh.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And what are the odds of someone get a shock from a ceiling box, as pictured? I know it's not code, but it should be safe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good eye. I noticed the lack of romex connectors, but didn't quite catch it soon enough. I also favor

4 or 8 foot fluorescent tubes. Even light, and less shadows.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What are the odds............:) This is the stuff that keep safety conscience people up at night.

Metspitzer

Not "safe" without the clamps.

Reply to
clare

Per Stormin Mormon:

At the risk of sounding inane - but just to be sure - the reason for grounding the metal boxes is to protect somebody touching the box from electrical shock in case one of the hot wires contacted the box.... have I got it right?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Metspitzer:

I heard a standup comedian observe that the really scary part about warnings like that is that somebody probably did whatever was being warned against... or there would not have been just that warning.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Yes, that's my understanding.

I've not read the NEC, but sounds like something they might write.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Definitely DO NOT use line cord.

Use romex. The ground wire goes to the metal box. It also looks like you neglected to install the strain reliefs. Considering they cost only pennies, that's not a wise way to try to save costs.

Reply to
philo

So, what happens if he does use lamp cord?

I suspect he didn't know about strain reliefs (Romex connectors), and that's why he didn't use them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

People who don't know enough to use romex clamps shouldn't be playing with electrical wiring Sorry if that sounds harsh -but it's a safety thing. Kinda like guys who don't know the difference between brake fluid and washer fluid (or trans fluid) shouldn't work on brakes.

Reply to
clare