Daisy-Chaining Light Bulbs: Wire?

Page 1 of 3
Just added six naked light bulbs to the ceiling of my garage and the improvement in visibility for working is so good that I want to add three more.
For the six, I threw myself on the mercy of the guy in the Home Depot electrical aisle: #14 Romex between bulbs.
But when I got home, I realized that the porcelain fixtures used for the bulbs do not have a ground connection, so the ground wire in the Romex is wasted.
3 bulbs, 25 watts each... seems like I could just use lamp cord...
Or is there a fallacy in that reasoning?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 1/15/2014 7:37 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I'd sure try it. Not as sturdy as Romex, but might not be an issue. Stapled along the beams, and no "free hanging" wire, right?
Many shop lighting folks use 48 inch fluorescent fixtures.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Lamp cord will carry the load, but the size of the wire depends on the breaker. 15A breaker requires #14 and a 20A requires #12
If the boxes are metal, the ground keeps the metal from becoming energized.

You need to make sure the size of the wire matches the breaker it is connected to. Probably a 15 am breaker, so # 14 wire is needed.
On 1/15/2014 7:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

You mean I need to scrap all my lamp cords and put #14 wire on my desk lamp, shaver, and table top radio?
(OP can put in a power socket, and run the lamps off lamp cord and a plug. Make the lamps look temporary.)
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It will work, it is just not code.
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:09:40 PM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No, of course not. the code requires the wire to be #14 from the breaker to the receptacle box. What you plug in is up to you.
Harry K
On 1/16/2014 11:03 AM, Harry K wrote:

OK if I plug in a bit of lamp cord, and a couple porcelean sockets?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/15/2014 7:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

My wife has a hard time stringing lights on the Christmas tree with the 14-2 wire. For wiring to code, you are correct. It he is making a plug in string, other wire will work OK
4ax.com:

Lamp cord is fine for cord-and-plug-connected lamps, but installing it as premises wiring is a violation of the National Electrical Code.
wrote in

It might be a violation , but it works as *temporary* lighting . Right now there are 3 porcelain fixtures on the ceiling of our new room that are wired with zip cord . I wired them into the switch box to make it easy on the wife , she doesn't like fumbling with an extension cord in the dark . Neither do I ...
--
Snag

Wire receptacle to switch, and plug in "temporary" lighting with lamp cords. Then you are legal - as long as the lights are mounted in a "temporary" fashion - like hung from hooks, not screwed to the building.
On 1/16/2014 10:41 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I figure floor or table lamp on a cord with cord on the floor is OK where people step on it. Cord on the ceiling out of reach is.... ??
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Cannot use lampcord for "permanent installation" Steel boxes, or plastic? If steel, ground the boxes.
On 1/15/2014 8:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Years ago, I was talking to a counter man at an electrical supply house. He told me of one customer, ordering large amounts of lamp cord. Finally the counter man asked if he was doing appliance repair. No, the customer said he was rewiring his house, and that Romex stuff was too hard to get through the walls.
Real story, told to me. Maybe twenty or so years ago. People now days, not much smarter.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/15/2014 8:57 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I;ve seen it. Back in the 60's and 70's I did some sideline window and door work. Some of my business was in new house developments. Many finished the basements and I've seen some strange things.. Lampcord was one of them.

Looking to buy our house I looked at quite a few. Found one - very nice, basement nicely finished - until I looked in the adjacent room and found the basement was wired with old outdoor telephone wire - like solid steel twinleed. - no ground. Happens the seller was a retired Bell guy.

*For permanent wiring attached to a building you must use an approved wiring method such as Romex, BX, MC or conduit. That includes installing the proper size electrical boxes with approved fittings and grounding all metal. Lamp cord is not rated for a permanent installation. In a garage where the temperature and humidity is not fairly constant the cord insulation will eventually dry out and become brittle. Using lamp cord in this manner is just asking for trouble.
How about posting a picture of this job?
Per John Grabowski:

http://tinyurl.com/qfjqfdq
--
Pete Cresswell

:

*It looks as though you used metal octagon boxes with the light sockets attached. The metal boxes need to be grounded. There is a 10/32 tapped hole in the back of the box for this. It also looks as though you ran the Romex through the knockouts without a connector. You could have used a button or a Romex connector.
I would have just installed a couple of 8' pans with 4' T8 lamps. Less wire on the ceiling and more even illumination. Also you would have a little bit more head room.