Dado cut in extruded ploystyrene foam insulation?

Hey,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to cut a 3-inch wide and 1-inch deep trench into the face of a panel of EPS foam insulation?
It should travel vertically up and down the 8-foot high face.
Any ideas welcome.

Hot wire or hot knife is what is done on job sites. You can use a soldering gun and a template to guide it. http://www.wind-lock.com/public/icf/2qc_hot_knife.asp
Open the window and put a fn as it will stink and smoke a bit.
You can use woodworking tools, but then you will have dust all over.
That knife works well...used one this weekend on ICF wiring. After looking at the hot knife, I wondered if a soldering iron with a piece of 10 gauge copper wire wouldn't do the same thing...never tried...mabe I will.
If you go the glueing route...you might want to check out their foam-2-foam adhesive...just don't get it on yourself...DAMHIKT I must of used 5 cases this summer while building my new home. It's truely amazing stuff. Much like great stuff, but not the same.
Another source for the foam adhesive is: <http://www.farmtek.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId 052&storeId001&categoryId8355&langId=-1&divisionrmTek&top=N&parent_category_rn8354&top_category8354&breadcrumb_trail=Building+Materials%7CHandi-Foam+Products&breadcrumb_categoryIds8354%7C38355&isDoc=> I've not used this brand, but Windlock says on their site that they will only sell to "qualified" contractors, FWIW.
Good luck,
Darwin
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, the soldering gun works well. Whose ICFs are you working with? Great way to build a fuel efficient house/
Polysteel, my wife and her family have done everything except pour the concrete and set the trusses. I'm really looking forward to getting moved in, hopefully this fall.
DAC
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My company does the molding for Polysteel in the northeast. They are one of the best.
Most ICF companies have two to five molders around the country making the product to keep shipping cost down.
Well my hats' off to you...granted I havn't used the ones you created, but the ones from Fort Madison, Ia (I think) are a quality product.
Pass on though to the engineering staff that fastnenters in the corners are the weakest link of the product. If they'd fix it...I think it would be hard to beat the product. We poured almost 80 Yds of concrete...nothing close to a blow out..braced well and careful during the pour.
Keep up the good work!
DAC
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The corner brackets were revised about a year ago and will be revised again, I'm told. Glad to hear the job went well. Enjoy your new home.
bryanska wrote:

Hello:
I've used a router to shape EPS foam but it isn't fun; tiny bits of foam and dust go everywhere. For a 3" wide trench several passes would be needed.
I assume we're talking about 2" or thicker foam. Would it be practical to build up the shape you need from 1" thick sheets? That is, cut two strips of 1" foam and glue them to the face of a whole sheet of 1" foam, leaving a 3" wide gap between.
Best -- Terry

Is the insulation 3 (or more) inches thick? If so, using a tablesaw, rip the panel into 2 pieces. From one piece rip a strip that is 1 inch less in thickness than the thickness of the panel. If necessary, rip this piece down to 3 inches. I know this won't give you a single piece with a trench or dado, but the 2 large pieces, with the narrow strip between them, will probably work OK unless you have a real need for single unbroken piece of insulation in your application.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net

We always used a hot wire (in a configuration that looked like a band saw) for cutting that stuff ... no mess, no charged particles all over the place. So some jig using a hot wire is how I'd go.