dadiOH please respond

I have a walnut floor on a slab in a rental that AI want to refurbish. It is on the KIT, DRand LR floors and shows wear where the DR chairs move.

I am considering new Laminate, Tile or refinishing the parquet.

A poster suggested Min wax but didn't respond .

would you recommend one of the following::

Blue

Are you sure it is Walnut and not stained Oak. Walnut rare, it is difficult to sand , a corse grit will make it black, I dont know why. For parquet a floor scrubber -buffer with sanding pads is best as cross grain sanding will be noticable and only more of a fine grit. Parquet take a pro to refinish it may or may not even be worth it. Some Parquet is worth a recoat but some cheaper has a wax type factory finish that new finishes will peel. Tennants may have waxed it or used any number of synthetic products that will ruin future adhesion of a finish. Id get a pro for a bid and a look see, It could be as simple as a light sand and clean, recoat. That minwax says exterior. Exterior products are common to be softer to allow for expansion-contraction and don`t wear as well as interior products. Minwax has both. Talk to Minwax, im sure there is an 800#. Is color even and not worn away, is there a real finish on it, then it may be worth recoating as also it is a rental not your home.

Reply to
m Ransley

Oil wont protect the wood from wear as I dought it is walnut it is likely dark stained oak. Wear through the protective layer and it is basicly shot needing a sanding to wood. For a rental several coats of poly are best

Reply to
m Ransley

There are no miracle top coat materials though some are more wear resistant than others. Any top coat will abrade. It will wear through eventually just from normal use; moving chairs accelerate the abrasion.

Of the topcoats generally available for DIY - Minwax or not - polyurethane is the hardest and most scratch resistant. It is also the most difficult to repair or redo.

That said, you have to balance what you put on the floor with your willingness for maintenance. Tile is pretty maintenance free but not cheap to put down. For a rental with parquet floors I would probably not use a topcoat, using oil instead. It is inexpensive, easy to apply, easy to touch up (just re-apply to worn areas). Since it isn't shiny, scuffs, scratches and wear in general won't show as they do in a shinier finish. It can be waxed and buffed to give a pleasant sheen.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I was refering to wear through as in the stain wearing out on oak. Few rentals have Walnut, few tennants take care of rentals.

Reply to
m Ransley

Remember, it is a *parquet* floor...no reason it couldn't be walnut. And yes, the wood will wear. So? Takes a while to wear through...had a teak parquet floor once, oiled, hadn't "worn through" in 16 years. Even if it had, it is duck soup to re-oil a floor. ________________

Which is why I wouldn't use a top coat surface finish. Or stain. No need to sand to reapply oil. _________________

Not if it were *my* rental :)