Cutting vinyl Siding

I have some vinyl to trim I need to shorten it about a 1/4 of an inch for expansion, can this vinyl be trimmed with a sharp pair of tin snips? Or is there another idea out there?
I enclosed a picture, its the ceiling of my deck cover, the area that needs to be removed is above the yellow line, there are about 10 panels 12 ft long.
http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/Siding001.jpg
Thanks
Tom
twfsa wrote:

twfsa wrote:

Are you going to take it down to cut it? If so, use a circular saw with a plywood blade turned around backwards. Makes a nice clean cut. If not, tin snips will work, as will a utility knife with a sharp blade. But neither will be as clean a cut as if you took it down. Bob S.
twfsa wrote:

I believe you have what is technically called a "pain in the ass" situation. Nothing particularly difficult, but a lot of work to do a little work!
Tin snips will work fine. You don't have to have perfect cuts as the trim will cover the edge anyway.
i wouldn't trim it until expansion proved it necessary.. a lot of that expansion talk is simple precautionary.
If it were not buckeling due to expansion from the heat I would not be taking it down.
Tom

twfsa,
Take down the trim. Get a small cutter, like a dremel tool. Go slow so you don't melt the siding as you cut it. I'd favor a toothed cutter over a disc.
Dave M.